Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First results from the new(old) Zenit TTL. -Slight Problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: First results from the new(old) Zenit TTL. -Slight Problem Reply with quote

I wish I had a better film to use than Fuji C200, but I was in a hurry to check the results. These shots are as they came off the scan CD from the shop, except for a rotate. There is what looks like flare down the right side of each frame, same shape and size each time. I suspect it has to do with the shutter cloth as it is on all shots, no matter where the sun was. Any ideas? I am not too bothered as it is right at the edge and I can allow for cropping when framing shots in future, if it is too much hassle to sort. ALL shot with the Helios 44M lens.

Test shot 1 by skida, on Flickr

Test shot 2 by skida, on Flickr

Test shot 3 by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably nothing to do with the shutter. Just looks like a typical light leak to me. The felt on the door is probably old and brittle. Replace that and no more problems, I guarantee.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH! Beaten to it. Definitely a light leak.I have a couple cameras with the same issue right now. Next on my repair list is replacing light seals on many of my bodies. On these old cameras, the light seals can become brittle, breakable, and also sticky -- the actual foam becomes modestly adhesive. That poses the biggest problem if the light seal gets into the shutter mechanism. I only mention that so as you remove the light seals, do it in a place where you can easily remove the detritus without it getting in the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at the metal leading and trailing edges of the shutter and the left hand one, which leads when the shutter is fired, has a slight bend in it. This impedes the closing of the second blade.

I am not an expert on camera mechanics, but logic told me that if the light seals were responsible, the film would be totally burnt out at the edges as it would be exposed to the leak permanently until wound on.

I can live with this problem by allowing for cropping when shooting.

Thanks for your suggestions.