Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1938 Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 - Reala 100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: 1938 Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 - Reala 100 Reply with quote

I bought this camera at a camera show something like 9 months ago... what with the house move and other things I only got around to getting the Reala 100 developed now.

1938 Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 by Nesster, on Flickr

Overall the camera is in good shape. Unfortunately I decided to clean a slight bit of fungus off the back of the front element... and had a hard time getting everything lined up properly when putting things back. Turns out I'm still off: the rangefinder is long, and the focus is some bit closer than what I think I'm focusing on.

The frame counter also doesn't work well - and looking about, I think it's too complex for me to not botch a repair, so I'll probably get this camera professionally adjusted. Either Essex Camera near where we live, or Mark Hansen who seems to specialize in these.

First a couple of samples of the focus issue... check out the details on the railing in both pics... a somewhat artistic result Wink

cupcake by Nesster, on Flickr

Albania to New Jersey by Nesster, on Flickr

Here's a couple that came out better focused:

Priscilla of Boston by Nesster, on Flickr

One legged mortar by Nesster, on Flickr

Last edited by Nesster on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be a gem when you get all the problems resolved

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this cam in past I sold due I didn't like it much, I like much more Moskva-2 , image rendering are same , but Moskva-2 is works better to me , more sharp, more detailed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice old cam but I guess you mean 532/16?

I have a post war super ikonta 533/16, the one with light meter and coated T lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you - I don't know how I missed that, I think I may have ruined the 532 bit when I added Reala 100. Anyway, thanks, I fixed the title.

Attila, I see what you mean, and in general about the prewar Germans vs postwar Russians... Also, though I have a few, I sometimes think the square format folder is less interesting than either of the rectangular ones.

But here's the Zeiss thing: depending on original purchase price, these cameras can hold some reasonable repair costs, where the costs would likely be out the window with a Russian. So if I spend $150 on a repair/CLA, I should get a good bit of that back when selling.

Or that's my theory and I'm sticking with it Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems focus problem is quite common on Zeiss folders. My 533/16 has a worst problem than your 532, it can can hardly make focus to any distance other than infinity.

Did you ever try to fix it? By searching I found this page: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/0059jP
This Bruce Varner has posted his repair procedure however the link he posted many years ago is no longer valid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: bridal shop and the 'dead end' sign - nice juxtraposition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.z. wrote:
It seems focus problem is quite common on Zeiss folders. My 533/16 has a worst problem than your 532, it can can hardly make focus to any distance other than infinity.

Did you ever try to fix it? By searching I found this page: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/0059jP
This Bruce Varner has posted his repair procedure however the link he posted many years ago is no longer valid.

I think the way it got out of alignment in the first place was that I took it apart to clean a trace of fungus off the back of the first lens element... and promptly realized what a mess I'd got myself into, simultaneously trying to collimate the lens + prism gear... Rolling Eyes

... yeah, that sign with the wedding dresses was funny...