Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f2.8 vs f3.5 Ai-s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f2.8 vs f3.5 Ai-s Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I currently have the stunning Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f3.5 (pre Ai-s) version in mint condition.
Now I have the opportunity to by the f2.8 version for 'only' 100 euros.

I'm thinking of buying the f2.8 and selling the f3.5.

Doese anybody knows if something about the f2.8 version. Is it a lot better ?

Thx,
Gert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f2.8 vs f3.5 Ai-s Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
Hello Folks,

I currently have the stunning Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f3.5 (pre Ai-s) version in mint condition.

Thx,
Gert

I think the 2.8 is the newer version and they still make it. You can buy them new for $550 or so.

I have not tried either so I can't say much else. Other forum members also speak very highly of the lens you have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 55m Micro-Nikkor f2.8 vs f3.5 Ai-s Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
asterinex wrote:
Hello Folks,

Thx,
Gert

I think the 2.8 is the newer version and they still make it. You can buy them new for $550 or so.

I have not tried either so I can't say much else. Other forum members also speak very highly of the lens you have.

The 2.8 is a later version of the same lens. Have a look at this site -

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Scroll down to the very bottom where the mico lenses are listed. The 55mm f2.8 was followed by the AF 60mm. I have seen brand new 55mm 2.8 micro Nikkors for sale, so maybe they were new/old stock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great deal.
A couple of things to keep in mind.
The lens that you have is very good.
It is rare to shoot micro/macro images wide open. So the extra 2/3 stop will not be of much use to you.
FWIW, if it was me, I would keep the lens that you have and look for a 100/105mm micro/macro.
There are so many times when a close focus/micro/macro lens needs more working distance to the subject, and if you have been using your lens you will recognise them.
The 100/105 meets this need very well.
Just a thought for you to consider.
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55 mm f/2.8 Ais version has Close-Range-Correction (Floating Elements). It also has a reputation for sticky aperture blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
The 55 mm f/2.8 Ais version has Close-Range-Correction (Floating Elements). It also has a reputation for sticky aperture blades.

Mine has extremely tight focusing (it's physically hard to turn). Apparently, this also is a known issue with many micro-Nikkors of the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said, if macro / close focusing is your main usage of the lens than the advantage of the f2.8 version is null.
As all-round lens I think it is a good compromise - it is relatively fast and very sharp, but it has a very short focusing path between infinity and ~1 meter...

Mine is quite beaten up but until now I don't have any of the reported issues, but I suspect the pre-AI versions of the f3.5 have a better build quality and feel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the opposite of you. I'm looking for an older version micro 55mm F3.5 compensating type.
The most I want is a micro 5.5 cm f3.5 preset, It can achieve 1:1 magnification without extention tube. see this http://www.matthewlin.com/mynikon/55Micro/55cm-Micro.htm
The problem is finding one and if any certainly expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the f/2.8 lens is great, It has bad reputation about the oil on the blades (I got mine like that for half of what you have been offered) but I must say it was very very easy to clean. One of the easiest lens I've cleaned so far.

Hope you get it, I think you can have both and compare the results and at the end of the day keep the one you like the most (or both maybe!!!)

Here are some samples I took with mine.

http://forum.mflenses.com/micro-nikkor-55mm-f-2-8-t59080,highlight,%2Bmicro+%2Bnikkor.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
It also has a reputation for sticky aperture blades.

That, and obscenely stiff focus rings resulting from bad helicoid grease.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 55mm f/3.5 Pre-AI Micro-Nikkor and years ago owned a 55/2.8. I'm perfectly happy with mine. In fact, I love it. I own five macro lenses, and it and my Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro are my two sharpest. These two are neck-and-neck with each other as far as resolution goes.

I think the biggest difference between the two lenses, apart from the 1/2-stop difference in max apertures, is the coatings. The 55/3.5 most likely has a single-coating, whereas the 55/2.8 is more likely to have multi-coating. Having said that, though, I don't recall ever having a problem with flare with my 55/3.5, and that's the primary reason for having coatings at all.

I would encourage Gert to stick with what he has. He even admits that his is "stunning." That it is. I also agree that he should spend his money instead on a macro of a longer focal length, whether a 90mm, 100mm, or 105mm.

Kopi234 mentions a couple of things: about the preset 55mm, that was Nikon's first Macro and it is very uncommon. I would say this: if you want 1:1, get an extension tube. Or a set of bellows, which is much more versatile.

Kopi also mentions he would like to find the compensating type 55/3.5. The 55/3.5 with compensating aperture has aperture blades that open slightly as one focuses closer, to counteract the light fall-off effect as the lens is extended. This lens that has the compensating diaphragm supposedly has the -P suffix. (P for Penta, meaning five lens elements) But compensating 55/3.5s exist that do not have the -P suffix, because I own one. No -P suffix on my lens, but when I rack it to its closest setting and watch the aperture iris, it is plainly obvious that it is opening wider.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Pre Ai 55/3.5 last week for 9.99gbp at a local charity shop. What a bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't the later F2.8 AIS version have better metering capability on Nikon dslrs as compared to a pre AI F3.5 version?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still buy them brand new they are that good

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=370472100627

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=370472100627

AU $559.25
OUCH!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
parabellumfoto wrote:

AU $559.25
OUCH!

Very odd isn't it. It's a testament to Nikon and this particular lens. I think the AF 60mm Micro is cheaper and this still gets made and obviously still sells.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn , 400 euros new...

That's a reason to buy this second hand copy for 100 dollars Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:

No way !!!!!!

very expensive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Kopi also mentions he would like to find the compensating type 55/3.5. The 55/3.5 with compensating aperture has aperture blades that open slightly as one focuses closer, to counteract the light fall-off effect as the lens is extended. This lens that has the compensating diaphragm supposedly has the -P suffix. (P for Penta, meaning five lens elements) But compensating 55/3.5s exist that do not have the -P suffix, because I own one. No -P suffix on my lens, but when I rack it to its closest setting and watch the aperture iris, it is plainly obvious that it is opening wider.

I have a compensating type too, it also has no -P suffix. I think it's one of the sharpest lenses I own.
Got mine from ebay for £20 because it looked battered, luckily the glass is perfect and I don't care what the outside looks like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
wouldn't the later F2.8 AIS version have better metering capability on Nikon dslrs as compared to a pre AI F3.5 version?

I think that depends on the camera. True, the AIs lens has the later AI meter coupling style where the old Pre-AI 55/3.5 doesn't. The problem with most later Nikons, and not just the digital ones, is the tab on the camera that engages the metering tab on the AI lens. With a Pre-AI lens, there is the possibility of crushing or breaking off the camera's meter engagement tab. It is possible to have a slot cut into the Pre-AI lens's aperture ring by a qualified repair facility, so that it behaves as an AI lens. But even then it is my understanding that not all modern Nikon DSLRs will meter with a lens without the electrical contacts. Sorry, I don't know enough about Nikon digitals to know which ones will work with the old stuff, and which ones won't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

Keep in mind, the 55mm f/3.5 was also available in AI form.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
Keep in mind, the 55mm f/3.5 was also available in AI form.

That's the one I have. Incredibly sharp, will never let it go. Paid $70 for it, used, in impeccable condition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the Micro Nikkor AiS 2.8/55mm - which is a most beautiful macro lens - often suffers either from oily aperture blades or an extremely stiff focusing.

I have published the repair procedures for both here on mflenses:
https://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1586675.html#1586675

Even though the lens - due to its double helix PLUS a third helix for the CRC mechanism - is said to be troublesome to repair, I somehow disagree. There are a few tricks though, but if you read and follow my instructions carefully, you should be able to successfully clean your AiS 2.8/55mm.

Have fun Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 55mm F3.5 Micro Nikkor now. One of my sharpest lenses.