Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dismals Canyon, NW Alabama
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Dismals Canyon, NW Alabama Reply with quote

Went with a friend last Tuesday to the above, about 82 miles west of Huntsville. I had a mishap
with the RB67, dunno if those came out, will find out in 2 weeks. These are with the little Oly XA2
using KG400 @320:

Epson 4490 scans

first pic is inside the country store where you pay admission

Also shot a roll thru the Yashica-A, expired Portra 160VC, hoping some came out OK with that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hard light to work in...half shade,inside with the window light. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the camera and film handled the tricky light much better than most digital cameras would have. Nice shots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira and skida, thanks! I took a little Canon A490 P&S and all those pics were
dumpers, highlights blown out, washed-out colors, etc. Confused

@Ron, (Schnauzer) this is one of the KG400 rolls you sent, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These came out very nicely Bill!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thank you, I always get surprised with this little zone focus camera.

Another from the roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Moira and skida, thanks! I took a little Canon A490 P&S and all those pics were
dumpers, highlights blown out, washed-out colors, etc. Confused

@Ron, (Schnauzer) this is one of the KG400 rolls you sent, thanks!

Do you have any ideas on why the Oly did better? I know you play with all these odd little cameras .Does it come down to quality of the camera/lens? (I know the photographer makes a difference Very Happy Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, the XA2 has an exceptional Tessar lens and coating, coupled with a decent meter.
I bought a second XA2 recently, definitely a worthwhile camera to have a spare. And of
course it goes without saying the weakest link in my results is me. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did fine with these Bill. Cool

And as I keep telling you, you're a better photographer than you credit yourself as being. Laughing

@ Mo: Most of the Oly XA range are great little cameras - I've got an XA-3 that I bought new in 1986 that I still use yet.

The XA is the one to get if you want to be able to focus more accurately as it's a proper RF camera whereas the rest are all zone focusing apart from the XA-1 which is fixed focus . They all have a 35mm lens apart from the XA-4 which has a 28mm lens and also does macro.

Have a look here: http://www.diaxa.com/xastart.htm

Click the red rectangles (XA shutter release) opposite each camera model etc.

Everyone should have an Oly XA something or other - they're very very good. Only fly in the ointment now is the shutter release can give trouble apparently so if you want to get one, make sure that this aspect is OK.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me, bill, you did all right. the oly caught the light just right ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Paul, thanks, appreciate the kind words. It was a fun outing, the trail is 1.5 miles, but we meandered
off of it several times and parts were quite slippery with moss-covered rocks. I told Beth not to photograph me
for fear of breaking her Nikon, but she didn't listen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb result, clean 400 iso and sexy XA2, 200gr full frame!
will be interesting to compare with the Portra, but I don't think the 4490 will get all dynamic range

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu, thanks and agree, the 4490 won't get all the dynamic range, but the results (I hope)
will be usable.

Korp khun mahk, Khun Adul! (Need to dig out my wife's Thai keyboard. Wink )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details on the camera.I can't believe all that moss on the walls...lovely intense green.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those came out nice Bill. Seems like quite a nice little camera.

I like to shoot it at 320 also. Depending on the light, it seems a good speed for it.

I haven't been on the computer much for about 3 weeks. Been really busy. Did you ever get those shots from the RB Mamiya developed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, time for you to take it easy before you have a heart attack! Thanks for your
comments, afraid the Provia roll was a wash out of the RB67. Saved a couple but
don't feel like posting pics with faded colors. It was an expired roll, dunno if they used
tired developer or if the roll was bad, or both. I have another roll that I shot at Dismals
Canyon, won't know how that came out till next week, was Portra 400NC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Poilu, thanks and agree, the 4490 won't get all the dynamic range, but the results (I hope)
will be usable.

Korp khun mahk, Khun Adul! (Need to dig out my wife's Thai keyboard. Wink )

" Mai pen rai krab " Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adul, my wife's favorite saying in English is "All things not perfect" Very Happy

Suban