Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Super A woe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Pentax Super A woe. Reply with quote

A work colleague very kindly gave me a Pentax Super A along with a Sigma 2.8/28 Miniwide II, SMC Pentax-A 1.7/50 and an SMC Pentax-A 4/70-210 zoom. Everything is in lovely nick but the camera is faulty and two separate repairers have informed me that it can't be fixed as there's no parts left for it what with it being the early type.

I was looking forward to trying it too as it's such a compact little system.

Who'd have thought that the European Camera of the Year 1983 would end up as a paperweight... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trying, eventually you will find a repairer with a spare one for parts Wink

Harrow Technical in the UK are good for Pentax and generally has good stocks of donor parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've tried Harrow Technical and Asahi Photo without any luck.

The camera is useable in manual mode but the metering is out of whack as are the Av and Tv modes and I prefer a camera to work properly if possible. Seems the metering faults it has are quite common. It also needs the film door light seals done along with the mirror foam but that's not such a big deal.

Last edited by bob955i on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
So far I've tried Harrow Technical and Asahi Photo without any luck.
Oh that's a bugger Sad

bob955i wrote:
I prefer a camera to work properly if possible.
+1 Knowing it could work fully but doesn't would drive me nuts Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to bin the wee guy as while not mint, it's certainly not been abused and is in good nick externally, plus in addition to liking things to work properly, I don't like throwing stuff out that could possibly be fixed.

I've also read some good stuff about the 70-210 zoom and was really wanting to try it plus I like the dinky 50.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of good PK bodies available for next to nothing. How about a second body ?

How about an SF10? It will use the Pentax-A lenses in all the possible modes.
Its quite a bit bigger than the Super A, and much less cool-looking, but its got autowind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from another post on here a program a for spares
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170769041504
You may be able to butcher something together? And would likely go cheap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I wasn't really wanting to have to buy another body.

I'd have gone as far as repair but less so with a replacement body as the only Pentax lenses I have, are the ones that came with the Super A and I'm kind of reluctant to invest in yet another mount system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I wasn't really wanting to have to buy another body.

I'd have gone as far as repair but less so with a replacement body as the only Pentax lenses I have, are the ones that came with the Super A and I'm kind of reluctant to invest in yet another mount system.

If you keep looking you may well find a good body for less than the repairs would cost you. Note that light seals are a simple DIY project.

The suggestions about looking for AF bodies are sensible. They are common and often are very cheap. My personal favourite in terms of useful bodies in that line is the SF!/SFX, preferably the "n" version. Clunky but well-built.

The A 70-210 is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Hendrickson in the US has fixed cameras the UK repairers won't touch, he seems to be the go-to guy. Having said that, the Super A isn't an especially rare model and you could pick up a replacement working body for very little money.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
Eric Hendrickson in the US has fixed cameras the UK repairers won't touch, he seems to be the go-to guy. Having said that, the Super A isn't an especially rare model and you could pick up a replacement working body for very little money.

K.
FOR SURE.....Eric is your man.....send him an email......if he can't fix your camera there will be no charge.
I have used both the items to which you refer: The Super A is GREAT little camera...grossly under rated, well worth fixing, & the Pentax A70-210 Zoom is also one of the best of its era.....used my Super A (& my LX!) & the zoom for motorsport...got some great results.
Good Luck, Pickles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickles wrote:
I have used both the items to which you refer: The Super A is GREAT little camera...grossly under rated, well worth fixing

IMHO - Three little cameras is great - Super-A/MX/ME-F.