Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 2.8/35mm -Australian war memorial...a quick visit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Flektogon 2.8/35mm -Australian war memorial...a quick visit Reply with quote

I had a brief opportunity to visit the Australian war memorial in Canberra.I only had an hour or so so just snapped away...I tried a few indoor shoots but due to the darkness and no tripod I only had a few images that came out (handheld). I took the Tamron Mirror 55BB and the MC S sonnar 2.8/135 (I will post them later).

I love this building so simple,and it achieves its purpose as a memorial of those who gave their lives.

#4 The tomb of the unknown soldier is through the far door.

#5 At the end of this pool is the eternal flame.It was hard to get the exposure right with the strong shadow and stormy light.

#6 The little "gargoyles" sticking out from the wall are actually Australian animals the first is a Platypus.

#8 The reason for the memorial...so many lives over so many wars.

#11 One of a set of lions from Menin Gate Ypres Belgium.

#12 This is a wrecked plane showing the insides..again I forgot what type it is.

#13 G for George...I can not remember the Plane type.I had the pleasure of meeting a man who flew as the navigator in this plane...one of many crews who flew in it.

#14 The tail end of a Japanese midget submarine that was sunk in Sydney harbor.

#15 A Kitty hawk named "polly" This plane flew in the battle of Milne bay PNG.I had the pleasure of meeting its pilot. It was rescued from a paddock.

#16 The Australian parliament house

Last edited by mo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an impressive looking building and you've captured it well in difficult conditions. Poppy shots are very nice too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I hope to go back and take my time taking some more internal images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
It's an impressive looking building and you've captured it well in difficult conditions. Poppy shots are very nice too.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow a massive place...and you might be interested in how the UK respects the excellent Australian and New Zealand soldiers who died helping the UK in WW1.
I find this simple shot a challenge (in sunshine) trying to get the names on the grave showing and everything else correctly exposed.

Local cemetery near me for Anzac soldiers who died in the local hospital.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did alright with your photo,Is it on film? There must be many little graveyards like that in The UK.

I read a lot about the war years trying to understand it all and learning about the stories of every day people who walked through it.There is a generation passing away before our eyes who have stories to tell....those who fought and those who were at home.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:

+1 well done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers 5,9 and 10 are my favourites. Well done.

I agree with you about the architecture befitting such a memorial. Strong, clean lines, solid and attractive without being ostentatious. A good backdrop for personal reflection regarding the solemnity of war and the sacrifices it requires.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, Mo!.
This is an underrated lens, I had one in the past, but sold me to get the faster 2.4 one. At the end I like more the 2.8...
You show very well the capabilities of this lens.
Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed looking at these very much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You did alright with your photo,Is it on film? There must be many little graveyards like that in The UK.

I read a lot about the war years trying to understand it all and learning about the stories of every day people who walked through it.There is a generation passing away before our eyes who have stories to tell....those who fought and those who were at home.

Australians were elite soldiers and all volunteers.
The shot was on film using a Hexanon 28mm f3.5 and every village, town and city in the UK has the same "cross of sacrifice" with the names inscribed, as there are not many UK graves as the custom was to bury British dead where they fell (there are about 150,000 missing British and commonwealth soldiers in France and Belgium, but bodies keep turning up even now) and nearly every country in the world has/had a British war cemetery........even near Attila in Hungary.
WW1 soldiers can be summed up in four words........lions led by donkeys.