Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Primagon 35/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 Reply with quote

I have been tempted to try this lens and I finally got one a few weeks ago. First results look very promising! The lens vignettes quite a lot on full frame, but it is also as sharp as the reviewers are saying. The back of the lens touches Canon 6D mirror on focusing distances more than 3m.

#1 f11

And 100% crop:

#2 f8

#3 wide open

#4 wide open

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos! Nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Nice pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the bajonet itself not hit the 6D mirror?

when i use an adapter of the right thickness to reach infinity focus, the bajonet hits the mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:

when i use an adapter of the right thickness to reach infinity focus, the bajonet hits the mirror.

This is m42 version, adapter is not a problem. 6D mirror touches the ring which is holding the rear lens in its place. I actually measured the difference, it is about 0,6mm too close to the sensor. I am still gathering courage to shave the mirror...

A good way to experiment with mirror clearance is to get an old film body with EF mount. I got broken EOS 500N, from which I removed the shutter. This allows me to check where the mirror goes exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! The last 2 especially!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ks73 wrote:
chris_zeel wrote:

This is m42 version, adapter is not a problem. 6D mirror touches the ring which is holding the rear lens in its place. I actually measured the difference, it is about 0,6mm too close to the sensor. I am still gathering courage to shave the mirror...

A good way to experiment with mirror clearance is to get an old film body with EF mount. I got broken EOS 500N, from which I removed the shutter. This allows me to check where the mirror goes exactly.

that makes sense. i have the exakta version, and regret that the exakta bajonet hits the mirror.

not sure if i would care to shave the mirror, since i don't have so many lenses with issues.

is there a way to remove the mirror from the body?

i haven't looked for it, but so far i have only seen a process with the mirror in its place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
that makes sense. i have the exakta version, and regret that the exakta bajonet hits the mirror.

not sure if i would care to shave the mirror, since i don't have so many lenses with issues.

is there a way to remove the mirror from the body?

i haven't looked for it, but so far i have only seen a process with the mirror in its place.

I don't know how mirror is attached to its place. If you remove the mirror you cannot use viewfinder anymore. Wouldn't it be better just to use the lens with live view in the first place?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several really nice looking threads for this great lens in the forum. I join my several shots here, following a spontaneous feeling.

Just got htis lens, amazed as most of the owners with its clarity and sharpness. Together with Rodenstock and Schneider I love slow German wides even more. Put on Sony Nex with lens booster, contrast is pushed a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some examples in colour from this lens Smile
Mine's in Exakta mount and I've only used it with b&w film on one of my Exa cameras ... I'd not noticed any undue vignetting, but as I'd probably be comparing it to a Domiplan or Meritar all images would likely be similar Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some old glass is amazing, and this lens clearly belongs to the list.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's definitely something special about the Primagon 35. It is sharp. It is clear. It also has very pleasing character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex? Have you tried Staeble Choro? It fits your "slow German wides" and is also quite good. Typically found in Paxette 39mm mount so easily adapted. Its usually not much money.. The exception that "proves the rule" is the Enna Lithagon....not a great lens IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Huge difference between early 4E/4G german wide angles Reply with quote

I have recently wondered how it's possible that very similar lenses, made (in Germany) in the same period, have such a different performance.
I am referring to the early retrofocus 4E/4G designs with focal of 35mm, made roughly at the same time by different german lens makers.
I recently tested the Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35mm and I found it to be quite terrible, at least on the stacked sensor of my Sony A7II. I kind of remember it was somewhat better on the Pentax K-1, though.
On the other hand, the Meyer Primagon version of the same design is so much better... even if the cut-out of the optical design looks so similar you might think it's the same lens!
I remember that the Enna interpretation of the same early retrofocus design is not as good, but still better than the Steinheil. If I remember correctly the Enna was sold in different versions, but the max aperture was faster (f/3.5) than the other two already mentioned. I have an early version branded Enna, another marked Reflexogon, and then the Edixa Eximar. All should have the same design and all are f/3.5. I didn't use very much these lenses but I'm pretty sure they are much better than the Steinheil and worse than the Meyer.
Last is the Staeble design, known for performing quite well outside of visible light (UV and possibly IR). I have no example in M39 Paxette mount (named Choro or Choroplast), though I have a later incarnation, possibly with better coating, but not enough to castrate its performance outside the visible spectrum. It's the Novoflex Macro 3.5/35mm. The mechanical design is not ideal, however I found the optic performs great at close range. Here are two pictures shot with the Novoflex/Staeble Noflexar Macro 3.5/35mm lens. I have no reason to think that the Choro/Choroplast are not as good. They should all have the same design.

Old Knob by spaulein, on Flickr

Succulent Plant Flowers by spaulein, on Flickr

If I'm not mistaken all these lenses have a very similar optical diagram, with large front element and small back element.
Having re-tried a couple of them quite recently, I was left wondering why the performance of very similar lenses differs so much.
It could just be the state of conservation of my examples, but I have repeatedly found on the web similar opinions expressed by other photographers.
What's your experience?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, cyberjunkie! They also have some fine but visible grain which I see when shooting with some other old lenses, including Xeanars and Xenons. I wonder what brings such a grain, even at low ISO?

Jamaeolus, I've never tried Choro. Looking at current prices I am saying to myself to wait for a good occasion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Very nice! Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Nice shots, cyberjunkie! They also have some fine but visible grain which I see when shooting with some other old lenses, including Xeanars and Xenons. I wonder what brings such a grain, even at low ISO?

I guess it's just the camera.
If I'm not mistaken the pictures were taken with an old Pentax K-01.
If I had used the K-1 the grain would have been much lower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
alex ph wrote:

I guess it's just the camera.
If I'm not mistaken the pictures were taken with an old Pentax K-01.
If I had used the K-1 the grain would have been much lower

I've seen a few strange effects posted on forums that was caused by automatic corrections. Especially automatic vignetting removal.