Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Announcement
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Kodak Announcement Reply with quote

"Kodak's continuing consumer products and services will include the traditional film capture and photographic paper business, which continues to provide high-quality and innovative products and solutions to consumers, photographers, retailers, photofinishers and professional labs,"

More...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, then, they will reduce their massive under-investment in digital to zero, and concentrate on flogging the same dead horse Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital is dead...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agfa is gone, I doubt that Kodak will survive the next decade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Agfa is gone, I doubt that Kodak will survive the next decade.

Agfa Gevaert isn't looking bad - Kodak probably won't vanish either. But it rather looks as if Kodak is abandoning its consumer products division, just like Agfa did back then - if you meant that, it isn't a matter of decades, but this week (but this being more than half a decade later, the consumer products are digital)...

Last edited by Sevo on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the only move left on the board for Kodak.
There is little or no risky and expensive R+D to be done in this end of their business.
If it works they can become a boutique company that does one thing very well and turns profit from it.
Rather than many things misomiso and a one thing very well propping up the rest.
If they can stay alive with the film and finishing business, eventually the royalties paid from licensing will build nice equity again.
Again, it's their only move really if they want a actual product in the marketplace rather than simply holdings from licensing.
I wish them luck for all of us. There are a few critical Kodak products in my workflow Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy. Their film sales was up 20% last year and rising.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So digital is out and film is in? I'm no expert, but I think there may be more of a future in digital.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
So digital is out and film is in? I'm no expert, but I think there may be more of a future in digital.

Haha! I agree, but am happy that I'll be able to at least buy Tri-X.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Ilford has just posted a 20% increase on film sales from last year, so did Fuji and I was informed by a good friend of mine that they are re-investing back into film as they see the market share increasing. I do not think this will ever take over from digital, that is a mundane thought. I think rather more and more, like myself, are re-turning to film for it's creativity, it just feels more like art. I still love to shoot digital, but I love to shoot film too. I personally am glad film is here to stay... at least for the time being anyhow. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is nice they still have software help for products that been stopped production 8 years ago.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/DCS/dcsRegister/downloadIndex.jhtml?dcsFwSelector=cameraManager