Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which B/W films should I use.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Which B/W films should I use. Reply with quote

I want to shot B/W films, i can buy agfa apx100, ilford hp5 and efke with good price. But i am totally amateur in B/W.
What's your opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from these three - learn with the cheapest. use standart developer like rodinal, ilford id11 or microphen. once you understand basic aspects of BW process, you may experiment;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APX100 is the cheapest over here, and I've been using it for that reason… Works fine, and very easy and inexpensive to develop with either HC-110 or Rodinal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for APX100 if it's the cheapest.
It has a good tonal range, it's very versatile and easy to develope.
You can even develope this film very easy with in a soup if Instant-Coffee and Vitman C bye the way (Google "Caffenol C" for mor Infos) with good results!

HP5 might be even better but I guess it's slightly more expensive and maybe not as easy to develope and expose. You should also try it after you shot some rolls of APX. I've never used the Efke though.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

All this films are fine. Now if you're a total beginner in b&w and want to develop by yourself, i'd choose the more exposure forgiving film of the 3 : the HP5. Okay it's not the cheapest, but then it can support overexposure very well ( by a diaph or more ). Rodinal would be fine, but will give some grain to this film, tetenal ultrafin is nice too to begin with.

this is just my opinion and advice, get the more versatile film, otherwise you'd get rid of film quickly Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some films like Agfa Superpan 200 are not good for beginners. It's a very good, high-resolution, high speed, panchromatic and special film - no doubt - but when you develope it the differences between for example 18°C and 21°C can be like day and night in quality.

I know that APX100 dev. is not challenging at all and. +- 1 stop, +-some minutes or some °C are not good but the result will be still good.

Ups, we forgot to ask one important Question - do you wan't to develope it yourself?
If not forget what I said on google for example pics from the films and choose what you prefer.

Efke is panchromatic, HP5 and APX100 are not as far as I know - they all should have a very different character.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used a lot Agfa APX + Rodinal , result wasn't always good and wasn't best. These together could really grainy especially if I underexpose a bit.

I have lot better experience with Fomapan 100 +Foma developer or Fomapan 100+ Rodinal. Also one of the most inexpensive film and developer I like a lot. I had bad experience with Ilford + Rodinal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's many replies here, thanks all of you.
Actually, I will study photography in university, so sooner or later I must learn how to process B&W films. Efke 100 is 2,59 euro, Apx 100 is 2,49 euro and I can get some HP5 outdate for 2,99 euro, or fresh 3,59 euro.