Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning a Soligor 400mm f/6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Cleaning a Soligor 400mm f/6.3 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I picked one of these up for almost nothing at a camera fair last week. It's in pretty good condition - no dings or scratches and very little dust, but there is a bit of fungus on the front and rear elements and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with cleaning these kind of lenses or could point me in the direction of a how-to guide somewhere online. I've never attempted to open up a lens before but I've heard these cheap old 400mm telephotos are a very simple design, so it might be a good one for me to start with. Also can anyone tell from the pictures whether this is a dedicated m42 lens or a T4 mount lens with an m42 adapter on top?

Thanks.

EDIT: New to the board. Looks like I can't post pictures yet. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning a Soligor 400mm f/6.3 Reply with quote

LGM wrote:
Hi there,

I picked one of these up for almost nothing at a camera fair last week. It's in pretty good condition - no dings or scratches and very little dust, but there is a bit of fungus on the front and rear elements and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with cleaning these kind of lenses or could point me in the direction of a how-to guide somewhere online. I've never attempted to open up a lens before but I've heard these cheap old 400mm telephotos are a very simple design, so it might be a good one for me to start with. Also can anyone tell from the pictures whether this is a dedicated m42 lens or a T4 mount lens with an m42 adapter on top?

Thanks.

EDIT: New to the board. Looks like I can't post pictures yet. Sad

Here we ago and welcome. Very Happy. You should be able to post photos to your hearts desire now.

Appears the fungus is behind the front element? I dont have this particular lens but I would venture to say that the name ring has to be unscrewed using some sort of rubber/gum friction tool.

One thing to be careful with is not to marr/scratch the front element-while using the friction tool.

Putting a few drops of lighter fluid in the crack between the name ring and filter ring will help the process a lot-as sometimes the threads there may require a solvent like naptha to loosen up .

I urge you to wait a little to hear more from others-you will probably hear from someone who has had experience opening one of these lenses before-

Sometimes on these bigger lenses , you can unscrew the whole front cell, and remove the back element of of the front cell-to get to your the inner side of your front element where the fungus appears to be.

Cheers and good luck

Last edited by Kathmandu on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks very much! Very Happy Yes, there's quite a bit on the front element, but luckily it's just around the edges so it's not a problem on my crop sensor camera. Still I don't want it spreading, so if I can clean it off that'd be great. I had a go at removing the name ring yesterday using a plastic cup with a rubber glove stretched over the rim (very cutting edge stuff) but it's on pretty tight - I'll try your lighter fluid suggestion and give it another go after that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the tripod mount to reveal a joint in the tube. The two parts unscrew to give access to the rear element, which iirc, can be removed with a lens spanner. I haven't removed a front element, but I think the name ring when removed does reveal the next steps.

LGM wrote:
[...}on the front element, but luckily it's just around the edges so it's not a problem on my crop sensor camera.[...]

Actually, the outer circumference of the front element IS used even with crop sensor. Only stopping down cuts off light from front element circumference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Remove the tripod mount to reveal a joint in the tube. The two parts unscrew to give access to the rear element, which iirc, can be removed with a lens spanner. I haven't removed a front element, but I think the name ring when removed does reveal the next steps.

Great, that's just the information I was looking for, thanks. Very Happy

visualopsins wrote:
Actually, the outer circumference of the front element IS used even with crop sensor. Only stopping down cuts off light from front element circumference.

I didn't know that. I'll definitely have to have a go at cleaning the front element then - it's pretty bad around the circumference.