Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oberon 11K MC 200 f2.8 => Suggest you to Avoid.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Oberon 11K MC 200 f2.8 => Suggest you to Avoid. Reply with quote

had the luck to see this lens on the market today, not much info on the web about it, only every place they find they label it as rare but if you want one it not a problem to get.

the copy i've held and took a few sample shots with, was mechanically malfunctioned aperture control didnt work, and the lens could not physically turn all the way to infinity, you couldnt turn the focus after it was about 5 meters.

but glass-wise and after examining the screws on the lens, i do no think the lens was disassembled at least not optically.

well results made me not buy it. alot of CA but pretty sharp. the man wanted 40 euro, in our part of the world thats too much for a lens that performs like it did and on top is in need for a good repair.

wanted to share the samples, i took in a rush, and if for some reason you want this lens, pm me, and ill get it for ya.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the never heard lens by me Sad thank you for sharing it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np, its funny it is called "Oberon" it probably stands for Aberrations Laughing

for this thread, this is how it looks:
it features strong purple and green coatings. like many russian MC's

( Source: http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248188991382.html )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare means not often seen, but that doesn't mean 'desirable'. The pix remind me of my late-unlamented 200/3 Series 1 Vivitar, a lens with a reputation I could never understand, based on the sample I owned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
Rare means not often seen, but that doesn't mean 'desirable'. The pix remind me of my late-unlamented 200/3 Series 1 Vivitar, a lens with a reputation I could never understand, based on the sample I owned.

I had the same experience with a Vivitar Series 1 2.3/135, supposed to be a great lens but the copy I had was bloody awful, one of the worst lenses I have ever come across.

Methinks QC is unknown to some vendors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think QC from most Russian lens in 1990's is not that good. Despite the poor QC, the MC Rubinar made by LZOS are quiet sharp and with high contrast when compare to third part Japanese lens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 200mm with f/2.8 is not easy to calculate!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
A 200mm with f/2.8 is not easy to calculate!

yupp, i think that why this lens wasnt mass produced.

calvin83 wrote:
I think QC from most Russian lens in 1990's is not that good. Despite the poor QC, the MC Rubinar made by LZOS are quiet sharp and with high contrast when compare to third part Japanese lens.

ofc you are rigth as it is a known fact, yet i found ( and as you say about the rubinar ) that it is not the case in every lens, or more accurately with every lens maker... some russian/CCCP plants became horribly low quality near the end of CCCP and after that, but other places didnt change much, maybe the glass changed - sure... but not much else.

i think this case i all about sloppy design and not so much about QC and that is the reason it wasnt mass produced.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speculating this is Frankenstein lens but it's for real. Here one for sale: Click here to see on Ebay
Mentioned here & photo: http://www.xalmaz.narod.ru/lensese.htm
Also here: http://www.lenstip.com/785-CCCP_Oberon-11K_200_mm_f_2.8-lens_specifications.html