Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Split Image Focus Screen for Canon 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Split Image Focus Screen for Canon 5D Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the focusing screens split image bought on eBay? Which of all works?
Thank you very much in advance.

Here is one of them.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Split-Image-Focus-Screen-for-Canon-5D-mark-II-MKII-/200319878937?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item2ea3fec719#ht_1450wt_1326

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this topic, I have Canon EG-S screen on 5D Mark II but I would like a focusing screen split in my camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Split Image Focus Screen for Canon 5D Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Anyone have experience with the focusing screens split image bought on eBay? Which of all works?
Thank you very much in advance.

Here is one of them.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Split-Image-Focus-Screen-for-Canon-5D-mark-II-MKII-/200319878937?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item2ea3fec719#ht_1450wt_1326

Not with this one, but I've already bought a similar focusing screen.
Quality is quite good.
But be careful when you're substituting it with the original. The screens are usually made of a very very soft plastic.
And you have to work as clean as on an brain surgery if you want no dust in your viewfinder.
Because you can see really every singel dust particle in the viewfinder after the operation.

You need very soft foreceps, good powder free gloves, one new and unused microfibre towel, a bellow, ,maybe a soft and very clean brush and a clean environment (something to wear on you hair should be also good). You should cover your table with aluminium foil or something similar clean unsticky and dust free before you start the operation.

They also don't like undistilled water, alcohol, lens cleaning aids etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dani9batan wrote:
I'm interested in this topic, I have Canon EG-S screen on 5D Mark II but I would like a focusing screen split in my camera

the split screen is not an option anymore for dslr with liveview, it is a slower method than lv and don't work for aperture faster than f2,8 or slower than f8
the Eg-s is the best way for fast shooting and fast aperture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:
I'm interested in this topic, I have Canon EG-S screen on 5D Mark II but I would like a focusing screen split in my camera

the split screen is not an option anymore for dslr with liveview, it is a slower method than lv and don't work for aperture faster than f2,8 or slower than f8

Thank you poilu, you are very kind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:

Sure about this? Cool

All split screen needs re-calibration somehow. Except for lenses with field curvature and focus shift, split screen when correctly calibrated, they are great aid for MF lenses. Sure I cannot live without them.

Live view focus on sony nex with focus peak is awesome, but that may not be the case for live view on most dslr. Also I think the evf on nex5n/nex7, with electronic magnifying, it is better than optical view finder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:

Many thanks Poilu, one more question.
For a shot at f5, 6. It is better, EG s?

I have a focusing screen split . But is adapted from a Pentacon and has a small margin of error, besides the circle is very small and I delays shot.

Greetings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:

Sure about this?
I used it for some months on an DSLR with LiveView and didn't hat any problems. Everything worked as before except that I had also a "splitscreen" in the the liveview.
What means "slower method than lv"?
My splitscreen worked good with F2 and F1.8 lenses wide open and also AF did also work like before.

hoanpham wrote:

Live view focus on sony nex with focus peak is awesome, but that may not be the case for live view on most dslr. Also I think the evf on nex5n/nex7, with electronic magnifying, it is better than optical view finder.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:

I have a focusing screen split . But is adapted from a Pentacon and has a small margin of error, besides the circle is very small and I delays shot.

Greetings

The Ex-S focus screen at f/5.6 will be darker than the stock screen, not a lot darker, a problem only in low light.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
francotirador wrote:
poilu wrote:
dani9batan wrote:

Greetings

The Ex-S focus screen at f/5.6 will be darker than the stock screen, not a lot darker, a problem only in low light.

But at f5.6, you can focus easily, despite the low light?
Greetings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me easy to focus depends on how well I can see the image on the focus screen.

At f/5.6 the stock screen will be brighter in low light, easier to see. So the light level can be a little lower when using the stock screen.

In my experience there is not much gain -- when light level is too low to see Ee-S image, it is very nearly too dark to see stock screen image too.

In low light I focus with lens wide open, Ee-S is necessary to accurate focus fast lens.