Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing 3 lenses as tube lenses for microscope objectives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Testing 3 lenses as tube lenses for microscope objectives Reply with quote

Hi
I bought an used el cheapo microscope (26€) with RMS- objective and standart eye pieces (around 1") mount and modified it to RMS/M27 and M42 camera mount. Some "planachromat" objectives came with it - but they were all crap, showing heavy CAs, curved focues field and so on anway. So I needed a good microscope lens.
I found that Nikon and Olympus microscope lenses are good and bought a modern Nikon 10x 0.30 NA infinity microscope lens.
These good modern microscope lenses are not projecting a picture directly like their older counterparts - they are "corrected for infinty".
http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/java/components/infinitymicroscope/index.html

So they need another "normal" lens around 200mm which is focused to infinity to produce a picture.
Good native 200 so called "tube lenses" for microscopes cost around 200€ and above. And I didn't wan't to spend so much money for an experiment so I decided to try alternatives.

The competitors are the Schneider Kreuznach G-Claron 150 f/9 (APO), Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm f/5.6 and Tokina RMC 200mm F3.5. All are very cheap used.

Here are some pics of the setup:

And here's the direct comparision:
Here some test shots around 10:1 magnification:

Rodagon 150 f5.6

G-Claron 150 f9

Tokina 200 f3.5

Tokina 200 F3.5 (2)

Rodagon 150 f5.6 (2) von Chloressigsäureethylester auf Flickr

G-Claron 150 f9 (2)

And here a pic of the coin with exatly 1:1 magnification for comparision:

Which is the best one to your eyes?
Tokina has best colors and lowest vignetting but is less sharp than Rodagon and Claron.
Rodagon has better overall colors than the G-Claron but the G-Claron has best CA control at highlights and the highest acutance to my eyes.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look about the same to me.

I seem to recall old discussions over at photomacrography.net, where the most important thing about the tube lens was entrance or exit pupil location/size, etc. and its effect on vignetting at the corners. I don't recall the details.

The effective aperture of a 10x objective at its rated magnification is something like f/15 to f/20 (depending on N.A. and all that), so as long as the lens can produce an image at the sensor at f/15 that is as good the best lenses out there, it's good enough to be a tube lens. With the 150mm lenses, I guess you'd be working at 7.5x with an effective f/11-f/15 aperture, so your lens needs to work as well at these f ratios.

Is the lower vignetting from the 200mm Tokina because it gives 10x and a narrower field than the other two 150mm lenses?

Maybe some expert over at photography.net will come along with a better answer, but I don't see any responses over there yet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s58y wrote:
They look about the same to me

+1
s58y explanation about diffraction seems logical, whatever lens will give about the same quality at f15-f20 effective on a crop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm confused...

I thought this RMS-M42 adapter (Click here to see on Ebay) is for use only with infinity corrected RMS objectives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm, I would look up "infinity objectives" and "tube lens" - google is your friend Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will keep the G-Claron as it's the cheaper (it did cost around 22€) than the Rodagon and also a little easier to adapt to my microscope.

Bye the way I'm a litte astonished as the speed of the tube lens it didn't interfere with the effective apertures... all produced the about same effective speed.

visualopsins wrote:
Now I'm confused...

I thought this RMS-M42 adapter (Click here to see on Ebay) is for use only with infinity corrected RMS objectives.

Don't you mean "finite" objectives? Usually only finite objectives can be used directly on a bellows with such an adapter.
You can only use it for infintiy objetives when you are adding it with such an adapter http://www.ebay.de/itm/Adapterring-52mm-Ausengewinde-42mm-Innengewinde-M42-/130459203272?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Filteradapter&hash=item1e5ff976c8 in the filter ring of a ~200mm lens. But you will need a very good tripod to make pics with it as at around 10:1 as even the vibration of an shutter will look like an earthquake on the pic if the camera isn't stabilised very well Smile

There are also good finite objectives for photography... but they are much harder to find, especially on Ebay Germany which was one of the main reasons to go the way with a tube lens Smile For example many finite LOMO objective are decent and cheap and the Nikon achromatic finite conjugate objectives (can be bought new around 80€) are known to produce a good quality.

s58y wrote:
...I guess you'd be working at 7.5x with an effective f/11-f/15 aperture, so your lens needs to work as well at these f ratios.

Is the lower vignetting from the 200mm Tokina because it gives 10x and a narrower field than the other two 150mm lenses?

NA is 0.3, so the fixed aperture should be f/1.58 and the effective aperture should be ~f/13,5 at 7.5x and ~f/17,5 at 10:1
Is that really so easy (if you don't care about vignetting)? 200mm = 10:1, 150mm = 7,5:1, 100mm = 5:1... 25mm 1,25:1...???