Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Educate me on the NEX3.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Educate me on the NEX3. Reply with quote

So, I've managed to temporarily disable my EOS 400D Embarassed . While I research getting it fixed, I want something better than my D60, which has awful low light performance, a tiny screen with very limited review options, and no liveview (As you would expect from a 10 year old DSLR). Worry not, the 400D will get fixed, but this will act as a stopgap in the meantime. Who knows, I may grow to love it.

I've seen a lot of people on here use the NEX series, and although I can Google away for the generics, I am after specific experience with Manual Focus lenses on the NEX3, as it will not be used for anything other than MF Lenses.

Am I likely to have issues with the size? I am used to a DSLR + Grip, and I have hands like spades.
How easy is it to set ISO, and alter the Aperture in Aperture Priority mode?
Are the adaptors for MF lenses as temperamental as the EOS ones? I have had to modify several to get them to work.

All answers and opinions appreciated, as I think I can get hold of an NEX3, body only, for a fairly modest sum.

NewStuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i will answer them the best i can
The Adaptors are of normally a good standard, most do go past infinity but this is not a bad thing, as some of my lenses reach on exact others dont.
They clip in as well as any native lens clips in to a DSLR bayonet.
From the start the NEX menu seems unfriendly and not to have enough buttons but that is not true it just needs configuring
In the settings menu you can set that the center button brings up the most common menus.
So for example i have ISO, WB, and Dynamic Range/HDR
A simple press of the center button brings up menu 1 and a press to the right brings up menu 2, etc
A press of the menu to the left brings up the shooting speed 1 frame, multiframe, 2sec, etc
As far as ergonomics go i love shooting from the waist and the NEX suits this style perfectly very discrete and can be used for street photography very easily.
They way to hold the nex is left hand on the lens (lens mount) and right hand shooting everything falls at the fingertips easily
The low ISO capabilities are very good, and the focus peaking works really really well.
I generally get a rough idea first, zoom in to 7x and fine tune to move the area that is being viewed use the directional pad and the diagram on the area.
The tilt screen is brilliant at concerts flipping it in the downwards position, Its very fast 7fps, I do tend to find that i like to use mine much more than the DSLR (sony A700) 90% of the time.
I would say for manual shooting the NEX is a great piece of kit.
And a body can be had for £120-140

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, just what I was after.

I think my next course of action is to order a M42-NEX adaptor, and head to Jessops to see whta I think of it. The ergonomics will make it or break it.... I still think an EOS1 35mm with grip and a Pentacon 50 on the end is perfect for me, ergonomically, so it may be a struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question. How it the ISO shootability, in othe words,how easy is it to shoot handheld at ISO 100?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I have one question. How it the ISO shootability, in othe words,how easy is it to shoot handheld at ISO 100?

Depend from available light ,on my NEX-3 ISO 200 smallest available ISO at daylight I use it with F8-F11 1/125 and above. No problem at all I do use it in dark temple inside at ISO3200 works very well. In emergency even ISO6400 give good results.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minimum iso is 200 on the nex
There is no issue at all, I can shoot a Jupiter 11A (heavy Lens) at F4 or F5.6 or more in the day without any shake
at around 1/100
see here for examples
http://forum.mflenses.com/pickering-war-weekend-with-jupiter-11a-portraits-pic-heavy-t43711.html

For example Photo 5 in that series was 1/100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm hoping to pick up a Nex 3 in the next 6 months, just to try. The 1.5x crop sounds really good. Smile
After shooting EOS and going to M4/3, I was shocked.
Playing around today with my G1 I took a few shots at ISO 100,at 1/50th second handheld, and was suprised. I could never do this on EOS. Of Course the shot would be better with a tripod, but not bad handheld.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to one of my Customers today, and lo and behold, he pulls out an NEX3 (and has a 5 as well!)

I've had a play, and while I'm not a huge fan of the ergonomics, I can live with it. He had a Tessar 50 with him (He loves it for quick candid shots), and I had a few Pentacon's with my D60, so we had a play around. The outcome is as follows.

1) An NEX 3 looks quite daft mounted to a Pentacon 300/4 Very Happy We had to do it purely for that reason!
2) Said customer loves the Pentacon 50/1.8 and 30/3.5
3) I'm buying an NEX3 when funds allow. Focus Peaking is something new to me, and I love it! I can see applications for fast panning shots with that.
4) Said Customer may register on here, although he is not "hot with computers"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the feature like focus peaking and customizing of buttons are only available with firmware version 5 for NEX 3.