Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 2.8/29 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Pentacon 2.8/29 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

This is a good lens, sharp even wide open (but with soft corners) and good contrast and colour, suffers a bit from flare, but I didn't use a hood.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of resolution it is awful lens, but it has interesting character!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.
I like the B/W conversions #8 and #12 Smile
And yes resolution and flarie control are not looking optimal.
The Pentacon 30/3.5 looks muuch better.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same lens in better light I did try it out before sent to Ian.

key difference only light , lens and camera is same. Not an awful lens at all and not worst than 30mm I had both.

All shots were taken at F8-F11.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I too have the 30mm and I agree, the 29mm is as good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got warned about this lens. My copy had lose front element and lose base, but after tighten up it turns out to be pretty good. Got it for free - happy me Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny picture Hoan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that pic too hoan!

Hust to understand the resolution, this picture was taken wide open at sunset, so less than great light, I focused on the writing that says 'Carpets, Wood floors, laminates, Vinyls, Rugs' and it is rendered perfectly sharp. That shows good performance imho.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 29/2.8 (good copy!) on my old Nex-5:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good copy too:

...and a bad one!
First one I got for € 10 isn't good at all; later I couldn't resist one on a fleamarket for € 3 that proved to be really good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Iangreen a bad copy or is it really only the light?
The resolution looks very low in some of his pictures... I can't believe that's it's a problem of light.

There also a 28/2.8 by Pentacon bye the way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with my copy, where do you see low resolution?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 2.8/29 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Here for comparision some similar shots with my 30/3.5, also on NEX, made some days earlier and a few hundred kilometers away, I guess around 10° colder Wink but similar light conditions
Quote:

Of course it hard to judge even with similar pictures, but CAs, contrast, resolution, colors and flaring are looking much better with the 30/3.5 to my eyes.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with my copy, where do you see low resolution?

1, 2, 3 and 4 are looking bad to me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, that is because 1, 2, 3 and 4 were wide open, I have the Exakta version with annoying button to press to close aperture, I forgot to press it for the first few shots. Look at the corners, they are pretty soft but the centre is sharp. This isn't a lens to shoot wide open. 4 is slightly front focused I think. Faulty technique on my part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Aah, that is because 1, 2, 3 and 4 were wide open, I have the Exakta version with annoying button to press to close aperture, I forgot to press it for the first few shots. Look at the corners, they are pretty soft but the centre is sharp. This isn't a lens to shoot wide open. 4 is slightly front focused I think. Faulty technique on my part.

Aah Smile ok. The difference between wide open and stopped down seems to be much bigger than with pentacon 30/3.5 (the difference is little on that lens as long as you don't view it in 100% view). The 30/3.5 is much better usable wide open.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks Attila. I too have the 30mm and I agree, the 29mm is as good.

A direct comparision wide open and at F5.6 or F8 would be nice Smile

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall drag my 30mm out and try it, I can't say I shot it much wide open, I used it mainly for landscapes.