Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

yet another film body - Practica BCA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: yet another film body - Practica BCA Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes You people are a bad influence!

I cheerfully confess that I bought this for the bundled Pentacon Practicar 135/2.8 bokeh monster. It also included a 50/2.4 pancake lens.

It's PB bayonet mount, when my EF adapter arrives from Hong Kong I'll see if I can hit infinity. No big deal, the bokeh monster is for portraits and I've got no shortage of 50s.

This is compact and light (for an SLR anyway) especially with the pancake lens.

Exposure is fully automatic. There only way to set exposure manually is "B" Smile. But you can set +/- in half stop increments up to 2 stops, in practice that should be OK. If I expect wierd lighting conditions I have other bodies.

I've found very little info about the 50/2.4. I see Trifox made some great images here - http://forum.mflenses.com/prakticar-2-4-50-and-extension-tubes-t26052,highlight,prakticar.html

Went for a walk in -20C today, got 2 shots in before the mirror stopped returning. It was fine once I got it back inside the house, but my search for a reliable cold weather film body continues.

I've been lucky buying cameras from evilbay. There isn't a mark on the body or lenses. I don't think it was used a whole lot, the battery is original, says "specially manufactured for Praktica by Duracell" Laughing

Gotta finish that test roll and get it developed, I'm not used to delaying my gratification!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries don't do so well at very low temperatures so at -20C I'd expect the battery to pretty much give up. Chances are that if you had removed the battery and shoved it in your trouser pocket for a bit, or put it somewhere warm, it would have recovered and you'd have been able to resume shooting.

Pop a spare in a small poly bag for electrical insulation and keep it somewhere warm on your body - you can then swap between the two when one stops working due to low temperatures.

I've had this with a 5D battery that stopped working at -12C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Batteries don't do so well at very low temperatures so at -20C I'd expect the battery to pretty much give up. Chances are that if you had removed the battery and shoved it in your trouser pocket for a bit, or put it somewhere warm, it would have recovered and you'd have been able to resume shooting.

Pop a spare in a small poly bag for electrical insulation and keep it somewhere warm on your body - you can then swap between the two when one stops working due to low temperatures.

I've had this with a 5D battery that stopped working at -12C.

The mechanicals were doing worse then the electrics Laughing The meter LEDs would light but it couldn't fire properly on "B" or the mechanical 1/60 either.

The BCA is a mid-80s camera, I'm probably silly to expect those old lubricants to work in that weather.

If I ever settle on a favorite film body I'll spend some money on a CLA.

Fortunately my cheap Canon body (1000D) does OK in the cold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For very cold wheather you had better taken a mechanical body, only the meter fed by the battery. Keep an extra handhold meter warm in your pocket. That is OMHO the best chance to keep going on frosty days. I take a Minolta SR1s for that, never failed till -17°C (never had lower temperature here Very Happy )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
The mechanicals were doing worse then the electrics Laughing The meter LEDs would light but it couldn't fire properly on "B" or the mechanical 1/60 either.

The BCA is a mid-80s camera, I'm probably silly to expect those old lubricants to work in that weather.

If I ever settle on a favorite film body I'll spend some money on a CLA.

Fortunately my cheap Canon body (1000D) does OK in the cold.

Good old Praktica. Laughing

I had a BC-1 which was great right up until I fitted a motorwind to it, at which point the shutter jammed mid-wind and rendered the body a paperweight. I then got another BC-1 body and put the motorwind away, never to see the light of day again.

If you go the length of a CLA it might be worthwhile asking whoever you get to do it to use lubricants designed for low temperatures...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few of these old PB Praktica bodies now Smile My first SLR was a BX20 (I still have it) and I've since collected a few lenses too. The Pentacon 135/2.8 isn't the bokeh monster as such, but it will still take nice portraits Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the 'grenade' styling of the B200 even though it was essentially the same as the BC-1.

I fitted a Sigma Zoom Master 2.8-4/35-70 zoom on my BC-1 and there it more or less stayed for twenty years until I retired the combo in 2006 when I got a 5D.