Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hanimex 400 mm 1:6.3 non standard thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Hanimex 400 mm 1:6.3 non standard thread Reply with quote

Hi there

You have probably heard of the Hanimex 400 mm 6.3, with at 42 mm thread - but how about a 47 mm thread?

I recently bought a lens with this peculiar non standard thread at the end. I have been searching the WWW for hours, but I seem to be the only one in the world, who has a lens with this thread?

Have any of you ever come cross one of these before?

The adapter fitted at the moment looks just like a T2-adapter apart from the thread size.
It has the same size bayonet as a RE.Auto-topcor 1:1.8 f=5.8cm.

I was hoping to be able to fit it for my Nikon, but at the moment it seems impossible.

In advance, thanks of any response.

Best regards
Jesper
Denmark
P.s. sorry if my english is a bit rusty.

Edit: If the photos don't show, they can be found here:
Photo1: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20121/5149_DSC_4607_1.jpg
Photo2: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20121/5149_DSC_4599_1.jpg
Photo3: http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20121/5149_Samlet_4_1.jpg

Last edited by 36jemini on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanimex 400 mm 1:6.3 non standard thread Reply with quote

36jemini wrote:
Hi there

You have probably heard of the Hanimex 400 mm 6.3, with at 42 mm thread - but how about a 47 mm thread?

I recently bought a lens with this peculiar non standard thread at the end. I have been searching the WWW for hours, but I seem to be the only one in the world, who has a lens with this thread?

Have any of you ever come cross one of these before?

The adapter fitted at the moment looks just like a T2-adapter apart from the thread size.
It has the same size bayonet as a RE.Auto-topcor 1:1.8 f=5.8cm.

I was hoping to be able to fit it for my Nikon, but at the moment it seems impossible.

In advance, thanks of any response.

Best regards
Jesper
Denmark
P.s. sorry if my english is a bit rusty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reposting my post. I couldn't get the photos working

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36jemini wrote:
Thanks for reposting my post. I couldn't get the photos working

Welcome, I am sure someone can shed some light for you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. You have a rebranded Tokina lens here, and we've come across their odd and rather short lived mount system before. It seems to work like a t-mount but with a larger thread. Unfortunately, finding another Tokina lens with the correct mount will not be easy, as we haven't yet found a way to distinguish the larger thread mount lenses from the standard t mount versions Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Welcome. You have a rebranded Tokina lens here, and we've come across their odd and rather short lived mount system before. It seems to work like a t-mount but with a larger thread. Unfortunately, finding another Tokina lens with the correct mount will not be easy, as we haven't yet found a way to distinguish the larger thread mount lenses from the standard t mount versions Sad

Well, then I got that sorted. And now to the question of, is it worth to keep looking?
I have read something about that it with a Nikon would be impossible to achieve infinite focus, because of the distance between lens and sensor.
Would you happen to know if that is true?
About the adapter i have at the moment. Is that a Tupcor or am i wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vemar lens with the same mount. Luckily for me, it has an m42 mount on the other end.

If you have access to a lathe, what you could do is find the appropriate T2 mount and adapt the inner ring. Then you could glue both inner ring together... or add some small screw thread. A tight fit with some good glue should be enough.

Here's a picture of both mount (and my crappy drawing).

And a crud representation at what it might end up looking like. (imagine the center m42 mount is not there...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had the problem of finding one of these mounts in M42. I done it in the end by buying a small collection of presets and found one in m42 which I now use on 4 other lenses with this 47mm mount.

It can be an expensive way of finding one, but I'm not complaining because I now have a great collection of presets to use.
Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an odd adapter that is for M39 Leica camera to what I believe, as an engineer, to be that M47 thread, so there are adapters out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one by looking for Tokina lenses with the silver mount and bought it on speculation (I did ask first if the mount could be removed,I know not a fail safe method)...just a guess but do most of these 47mm come with a silver mount?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of thanks for your quick responses. Very Happy

@Andreq: Great idea, and I do have access to a lathe Smile Sadly after a visit at the local camera shop i found out that the adapter is to little in diameter. After increasing the internal diameter to fit my inner ring, only about a mm would be left around the edge. And I guess this is to little to hold the weight of the camera within a safe margin.

@Barnaby: Lucky you to find a 47mm to 42mm adapter.
A small collection? You wouldn't happen to have a spare one for a Nikon to fit the 47mm? Wink

@Loydy: Now I just need to track it down Very Happy

@mo: I might try that Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that OM adapter with a very beefy inner ring...

I was about to tell you to get a cheap T2 adapter off ebay, but looking at my T2-EOS, it's true that the inner ring is quite small.

Maybe the ebay OM adapter is beefier?

Anyway it's just an idea, I don't know if it's a good one Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted an astronomers shop, and luckily they had a T2/Nikon adapter with an inner ring of approximately the right diameter. Very Happy

I'll probably have time to fit it for my inner ring some time next week.
I will of cause make a post with the end result here. Wink

Thanks you guys for the expertise and suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'm now back on track with the lens Wink

I received the T-ring adapter from the shop and detached the inner ring. Unfortunately it wasn't beef enough to be adapted for the T-ring.
Instead I decided on making an "adapter for the adapter". Sad

I figured that making a ring of brass with a 47.01mm inner diameter and a 52.00 mm outer diameter would do the job.
However, before making the ring, I found out that the lens reached infinity focus before the focus mark. The lens needed to be moved a bit away from the camera.

To find the right distance I added paper rings in between the adapter and the lens, until the lens seemed to focus correctly.
(I checked this by looking through the lens at a high tower 2-3km from my house and use the focus help function in my camera.)

I found that 7 layers of paper (0.650 mm) solved the problem. However, since paper probably wouldn't be a durable solution, I added a collar to the design of the brass adapter ring.

I glued the brass ring onto the lens-thread with epoxy and now have a fully functional lens with a personal touch.
I'm pretty pleased with the end result and I'm looking forward to be able to take it outside.
At the moment however, it freezes -12 °C (10 °F) outside and i'm not up for sitting out there waiting for a bird to come by Laughing

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions Very Happy
Best regards Jesper

#1 (All measurements are in millimetres)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice job! I'd kill to have access to machining equipment. I adapter an FD lens some day ago and it's far from being that pretty.

Can't wait to see some picture out of that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

If you make a few more of these you could maybe make some beer money selling them here !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a couple of test shots in the garden trough the window, and my rig for flying/fast moving subjects.
Is there a technique for getting a bird in flight in focus? or is it just doing it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done !

The Bird in Flight shot is a proverbial challenge of course.
There are no techniques I know, other than the obvious ones -

- Pre-focus to a fixed range
- Good range estimation
- Lots of shots
- Gook luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I am impressed. Thanks for sharing.
At least i know who to contact if i need the adapter Laughing