Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-8 2/50 M39 1955 red P on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Jupiter-8 2/50 M39 1955 red P on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Stunning lens, hard to imagine a better one imho.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great pictures, light, details on birds are all excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it was so great to finally have bright sunlight to shoot in! been about 5 months since we last had light like this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens! I love the shots with the swans, the sparkle of light off the water. Well done. Ian. Thanks for sharing these.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Everyone should own a J-8, for the price they cost there can be no bigger bargain.

I made a couple of HDRs with the J-8 as well:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good.
I like the rendering. At which aperture did you shot the ducks and swans? The swans a a real stress test for CAs.
I have one in (still cheaper) Contax RF mount - I hope my adapter arrives soon.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed by the first serie of shots, by the lack of flare and by the great contrast of the images.
The front lens is crystal clear, isn't it ?

You had a hood on it ? With post processing ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swans and ducks were at f8, I deliberately chose that spot to try this lens as in the afternoon the sun is at the right angle to make it a nightmare place to shoot, if you are going to get CA, flare etc, this is where it will happen.

No hood, I haven't got one the right size, the glass is clear, no scratches, fungus etc, which is lucky as the barrel is pretty beaten up.

I did some light PP, mostly just to correct some slight exposure issues as I had slightly blown out highlights on the swans, I did increase contrast on some of the shots, but not by much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good one, keep it Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, definitely keeping it.

In fact, it impressed me so much I went and added some more early Russians to my collection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the J8 out again and again we had beautiful sunshine, I really am stunned by how good this lens is considering it was made in 1955 and is in less than great condition:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice HDRs and panoramas! You're living in/near a beautyful country Smile Congrats!
Which software/method did you use for your HDRs and stacking? Is it photomatix?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I am lucky to live in such a beautiful place, it's a nature/landscape photographer's nirvana really.

I use ACDSee to batch convert my RAW files into TIFFs then Photomatix 3.2 to make the HDR then Autopano Giga to stitch them.

I was using Photoshop CS5 for the batch converting and stitching but, quite frankly, it sucks at both, it's a lot slower and is a total memory pig even though I have 4 gigs of ram and a pair of dual core Xeons.

I know I've only used it three times but this Jupiter 8 has become my favourite lens, I really cannot fault it, it has no CA, is sharp enough to slice yer eyeballs, is very flare resistant and is as contrasty as a lump of coal sitting on a bed of snow; best of all, it's one of the cheapest lenses you can buy! It's also very well made from metal and is tiny so fits the NEX perfectly.

One of the good things to come from Communism!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers, I am lucky to live in such a beautiful place, it's a nature/landscape photographer's nirvana really.

It must be great to live there as a photographer. Nicely used in your pictures. Good results with the Jupiter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the last four in the second series. Well done!

And the lens certainly looks like it is a good performer. I might have to pick one up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGH wrote:
I love the last four in the second series. Well done!

And the lens certainly looks like it is a good performer. I might have to pick one up!

Do it, they are such a bargain!

You want to find one with the red p (looks like an n) and with the earliest serial you can find, mine is a 55 serial (1955) and it would seem any of the 1950s ones are superb, if you are lucky enough to find one with a 54 or earlier serial, take it without hesitation as it will be made by Zeiss technicians from Zeiss parts on Zeiss machinery and is just a Sonnar with Cyrillic on it. A bubble in the glass is also an indicator of Zeiss glasss apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series indeed!