Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 300/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 300/4 Reply with quote

Took this heavyweight out for a test run on Sunday at Manchester Airport. Can produce some sharp photos, but tricky to use and quite a lot of chromatic aberration apparent.

.mic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, particularly like the first two! CA is certainly a bit of a pain wide open at least. Can you remember what aperture you shot at? Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great shots, particularly like the first two! CA is certainly a bit of a pain wide open at least. Can you remember what aperture you shot at? Thanks Smile

I was hovering between f7.1 and f8...in the end I went back to my AF 100-400 as the IQ just isn't as good unfortunately (or maybe I'm not as good with it Razz)

.mic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a heavyweight, but it can, with practice, produce some very nice results. The 100-400 will be sharper, but I find the overall feel of the Pentacon is, for me at least, nicer. The Bokeh is far more pleasant, but again, that's personal preference.

That said, some very good shots there for a first time out with a lens that size. I suspect I'll struggle with mine at Cad West for at least a few shots. I'll be taking my Tair as well though, which I much prefer for panning shots.