Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron) Reply with quote

Bought an older Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron, without "goggles") to use it on my mft Lumix system.

Any experience with that type here?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "nah" merely means that its helical and goggles can be set to a second mode in which it focuses between 0.5 and 0.9m. For some reason (presumably framelines or finder magnification?) it will only work fully as intended on a M3, hence many have been de-goggled to be used as a regular Summicron - it does not seem to be any different optically...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same, but since I won't use it on a RF camera, it does not really matter.
Mine has been built into a special focusing helicoid which allows infinity up to 1:2 (0.5x)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I thought the same, but since I won't use it on a RF camera, it does not really matter.
Mine has been built into a special focusing helicoid which allows infinity up to 1:2 (0.5x)

Nice! Especially because normally RF lenses do not offer good close-up abilities!
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron) Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Bought an older Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron, without "goggles") to use it on my mft Lumix system.

The goggles are needed so far as I know. Someone ripped you off!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Leitz Nahsummicron 2/50mm (closeup Summicron) Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
kds315* wrote:

The goggles are needed so far as I know. Someone ripped you off!

Perhaps not - kds315 said Mine has been built into a special focusing helicoid which allows infinity up to 1:2 (0.5x)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some shots taken today at my lunch break, Herrmanshof Park, Weinheim, Germany

Lens is based on the "rigid" Summicron and was made around 1961, is single coated and it has been custom built into a special Leitz focusing mount which allows up to 1:2 (0.5x) magnification, about 150mm from front lens, comes quite handy for my needs.

All shot at f2 wide open unless mentioned otherwise. Lumix GH1 body.

How's the bokeh?

Is it sharp?

and, does it have the "Leica glow"??

Wide open it has a fine glow, just one stop closed it gets very sharp. Contrast is quite high, microcontrast fine
if stopped down a bit, colors are great, green gets a bit enhanced, blue a bit supressed.

Well, I ask you to judge for yourself, for me it's a keeper, no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't want to keep it . . . . anyone can see it's rubbish, total junk, like FluffPuppy said, yo' woz ripped off Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But seriously, it is surely one to keep. Any chance of a picture showing the way it's been mounted, please?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Stephen, I read you Wink

Here how my lens looks like, not a conversion (as I first thought) but originally from LEITZ:

massive and heavy but actually good for macro as it adds stability against shake.

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the red: this is a strawberry lens - congrats

i think we will see some 1st class flower shots from you both Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56 DIN wrote:
looking at the red: this is a strawberry lens - congrats

i think we will see some 1st class flower shots from you both Smile

Old cheap Kraut crap, Japs can do better! I think I'm gonna go get a Nikon F and a 1959 lens. (LOL)

Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, looks like a very fine lens to me. Nice samples! It's spring there already?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

Mark, weather is on and off, mostly rain and actually way to warm, next day around freezing point and light snow showers, but the flowers are already in spring mode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus !

That's really unusual (to me!). I wonder if it's actually a factory item ?

Might even be worth showing the pics of the lens on the Leica User Forum to see if anyone recognizes it.

Not often I get jealous, or think about M4/3, but this time . . . . . . Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from a friend who is a long time Leica user and collector, I'll ask him where he got it from. He used it for nature film work on his Arri.

A few different ones...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats lovely. I love #2 specially-Congrats.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the confirmation, that this was an original Leitz/Leica made part! not a later conversion. It was sold this way with either a 5cm Focotar or Elmar. There was also that Summicron variant, but was rarely sold due to its much higher price. That helicoid was called "Repro-Schnecke" with original 28mm inside mount to fit that Summicron. There was also a version for the Focotar (39mm) and Elmar.
Leica code was VSPOO, later 16 685 (for the Summicron helicoid), resp. VTROO, later 16 686 (for Summicron) aperture setting unit (I have both mounted around my Summicron lens). [for the 2.8/50 Elmar the helicoid code was VXZOO, later 16608 and the aperture setting unit code was VTOOX, later 16622]. Also see here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/V

Wow, I got a rare piece obviously!

Here a picture of those helicoids from an earlier Westlicht auction:

(c) Westlicht

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These "samples" are realy amazing Shocked ...Your lens collection is realy incredible, thanks anyway for sharing your knowledge with us .....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the last one for playing with colour and background --- perfect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

The dimensionality is very appealing to me. Lovely fingerprint.

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Yes Vilhelm, I also noticed that. It is not only sharp but gives a quite nice depth impression.
The Leitz designers did a good job I have to admit, for a lens that is about as old as I am and
still holds up till today Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You turned up yet another gem, Klaus Cool I might start stalking you Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.: found the lens schematics

(c) Ken Rockwell

Lens performance (MTF) @f2

Lens performance (MTF) @f4

(c) Erwin Puts

Here what Ken Rockwell mentions about that lens: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f2-dr.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is nothing short of being a "stellar performer"
Shocked