Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX + C/Y Zeiss lens worthwhile/impressive or overkill ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: NEX + C/Y Zeiss lens worthwhile/impressive or overkill ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wondering what are the thoughts of people on this.

Is it overkill to consider getting C/Y Zeiss lens to use on a NEX camera ?
and if it isn't such a mad idea, which of those lens are more 'impressive' to try out.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any what you can find first and you can afford it, once you try it , you will never want to use anything else Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are overkill because they are not made for crop sensor
take them if you plan to switch FF or for film cameras
I used C/Y's on 2 crops but they are much happier now on FF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me what kills the benefits is the thick adapter. For longer focals I would use rangefinder glass, for wide angles mayble SLR lenses are a better option on a NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Poilu.

Konica Hexanons are almost as good and are very much cheaper, work perfectly on NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, i used to think the same until i got a Carl Zeiss Biotar F2 T coated and its like shooting in HD now.
And you know i have a fair few hexanons.
But for me the NEX and 40mm hexanon is one of the best combos out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Distagon 28/2.8 on my Nex and it makes a great walkaround lens. I compared it to a Hexanon recently (which is a very good lens, and cheap) and the Zeiss was sharper and contrastier, but it really depends on how much you're happy to spend. The 50/1.4, 50/1.7 and 85/1.4 are stunning on any format imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I use the Distagon 28/2.8 on my Nex and it makes a great walkaround lens. I compared it to a Hexanon recently (which is a very good lens, and cheap) and the Zeiss was sharper and contrastier, but it really depends on how much you're happy to spend. The 50/1.4, 50/1.7 and 85/1.4 are stunning on any format imo.

+1 this is my experience too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I use the Distagon 28/2.8 on my Nex and it makes a great walkaround lens. I compared it to a Hexanon recently (which is a very good lens, and cheap) and the Zeiss was sharper and contrastier, but it really depends on how much you're happy to spend.

I have the Distagon 2/28 on my NEX and also the 1.8/28 UC Hexanon which was even more expensive... I couldn't tell you which one is better. For me the Hexanon is sharper wide open and has no CA or problems with flares, the Zeiss at the other side gives something special to photos (sometimes, not always). I'm very happy with them and if they get even better on FF.. hey that's just one reason more for a NEX-9. Wink

Both are dream lenses for me and there is only problem I got now: I have to keep both. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: c/y on nex Reply with quote

So it's not completely mad, and get to try something out I guess.

And can always pray that in the future there is a FF NEX or something (or 5d mk2, but my other half would kill me going that way I think).

Will keep eyes out on them.

Are the ZF/ZE/ZM lens more or less identical to the c/y zeiss lens when they are in common focal length ?

For example, is the c/y 85 1.4 identical to say one in ZF/ZE mount ? or are there some real differences ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: c/y on nex Reply with quote

phule888 wrote:
Are the ZF/ZE/ZM lens more or less identical to the c/y zeiss lens when they are in common focal length ?

For example, is the c/y 85 1.4 identical to say one in ZF/ZE mount ? or are there some real differences ?

Some differences in performance, but overall the C/Y lenses are at least as good. I've heard some people say that the ZF/ZE 85/1.4 (and 50/1.4 too) actually has more focus shift and are less sharp at short focus distances, but I've seen a test (at short distance) that didn't show this. Anyway, for a NEX there is no reason to buy ZF/ZE and ZE lenses will not work on the NEX anyway, because you won't be able to operate the aperture (unless you buy a very expensive adapter).

Using Contax lenses on NEX can be overkill if you only post your pictures on facebook (tiny size), for example. Since you are in this forum, I'd expect that you have bigger ambitions than that and want to enjoy and share your own images at bigger sizes, hopefully with some proper processing. Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you expect to get out of it and how much effort you're willing to put into that. Technically, the Sony NEX cameras are capable enough to show the difference between a C/Y lens and lesser/cheaper lenses.