Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More parrots...bird camouflage
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: More parrots...bird camouflage Reply with quote

This subject may be getting boring...This little bird, a juvenile Crimson Rosella played hide and seek for about half an hour before it cleared the leaves for a semi decent picture.I got within roughly 2 metres of it by moving very slowly and pretending I was a tree...not hard for some to believe that I can be a tree as I can be very thick sometimes... Wink Laughing I tried for some different pictures of its feathers which are the perfect camouflage.

#1 The cockatoo...he flew off as I got closer

#9 finally it flew to a branch out of the foliage....I was almost to close for a good picture Rolling Eyes

#10 I did a lot of PP on this to bring out the color

Last edited by mo on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exotic! I'd have to go to a zoo to see these birds... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second bird a young crimson rosella Moira? If so the blue plumage as it matures will look brilliant. Lovely pics.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know how lucky you are to be abble to see this birds in your backyard (of almost!) Very Happy ....
May be a lack of pop and sharpness but still be a great serie! What for lens did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't boring to me. I love looking at them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
You probably know how lucky you are to be abble to see this birds in your backyard (of almost!) Very Happy ....
May be a lack of pop and sharpness but still be a great serie! What for lens did you use?

Looks like a mirror

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Very exotic! I'd have to go to a zoo to see these birds... Smile

We have 1000s around London maybe 100,000...but they haven't come into my garden yet.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0708_040708_feralparrots.html

Last edited by Excalibur on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a good to see these , great pictures! My bird continuously want to go out , yesterday my wife went out , bird did fly to me and say , strongly "DAD" and some sentence on her language , it was heart breaking Sad to keep a such nice creature in captivity just not right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's parrot hates me, I can't go in the same room if she has it out, bloody thing gives her kisses and lays on it's back in her lap so she can stroke it, if I go in the room it will fly over bite me and then go back to her, even the dogs are scared of it lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
My wife's parrot hates me, I can't go in the same room if she has it out, bloody thing gives her kisses and lays on it's back in her lap so she can stroke it, if I go in the room it will fly over bite me and then go back to her, even the dogs are scared of it lol.

Birds seem to know, as I could stroke the feathers (by the beak) of my parents budgie with my nose or finger.....when my girlfriend tried it she received a painful bite erm or should it be peck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:

Smile oh yes, your wife is suppose of parrot , not you.. a bit same case here 7 yrs left until my bird went to my wife hands or shoulders.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,it is my Tamron SP500 mirror lens I tried a different lens the series 1 Vivitar 70-210 but it was too awkward and heavy, this Tamron suits my need being light and easy to focus..and I guess it wouldn't make the birds nervous.. Laughing I do appreciate the fact I can walk to the end of my driveway and see these birds in the right season.I will try to find out what the name of the tree is that they like to feed off...I wonder if you can grow it in England?

@John, I have just looked it up in my bird book and you are right it is a Young Crimson Rosella. Embarassed If you can find this book Australian birds "A concise Photographic field guide" by Donald and Molly Trounson (ISBN 9780975242841),It has photos not sketches and is well worth finding.

One thing I have noticed with these parrots both Cockatoo and Rosella is when they get annoyed(well I think they are annoyed) they start wiping their beak on either side of a nearby branch (like what you do when you sharpen a knife) and fly off pretty much straight away after this display. Attila does your bird do this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, she say yes, yes, yes with hear head as body language if she want something badly Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira, a little website that is not always accurate but a useful online resource all the same.
http://birdsinbackyards.net/
We see a lot of crimson rosellas of all ages when we pop out to bushland areas just out of town. They aren't always that co-operative for getting their pictures taken.
Here's something you might find funny, when you get rainbow lorikeets feeding on eucalypt blossoms, grab a flower off the tree they are feeding on and they'll tell you off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I remember that website...but forgot to use it.We don't get many rainbow lorikeets around here.It is funny you say that as after I had taken my photos I started to pick the seeds off the tree and the bird just stared at me...then I made a few squawking noises (softly not loud) it flew to just above my head did the little warning dance and flew off.I am continually amazed at how close they allow you to get...they do keep a watch on you then go back to eating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira galah flocks feeding on the ground always have one or 2 sentry galahs watching to give the let's scarper order. The trick to get close up on them is to exploit the sentries blind side and when they look your way keep still.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff.

You can see in the last two shots that he's a very messy eater Laughing