Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retina Reflex III - recent purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Retina Reflex III - recent purchase Reply with quote

Sometimes, things just work out.

My go to camera is a Retina Reflex III so I'm always looking to expand when the opportunity presents itself.

Recently had the good luck to acquire a box lot of Kodak Retina equipment for a total price of $175 Cdn

Most impressively is that they were all in excellent+ shape in their original boxes or bubbles and were applicable in the fitted leather cases as was the case of the fitted case for the 28mm, 50mm and 135mm.

40+ Kodak pieces in all including the following:

Kodak Retina 90 degree finder in leather case
Kodak Retina Microscope attachment - Boxed
Kodak Retina Close-up Table Stand 1:1 - Boxed
Kodak Retina slide holder for close-Up Table Stand - Boxed

In the fitted leather Kodak Retina Case, the following lenses in their bubbles
Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Curtagon 28mm f/4
Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenar 50mm f/2.8
Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Xenar 135mm f/4

In the fitted leather Kodak Retina Case
Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Xenar 200mm f/4.8

Kodak Retina Platform C
Kodak Retina 50mm lens hood - Boxed
Kodak Retina 135mm lens hood - Boxed
Kodak Retina Close-up Lens Set, Type N/60 - Boxed
Kodak Retina Close-up Lens Set, Type R
Kodak Filter 60mm Close-Up TI
Kodak Filter 60mm Close-Up TII
Various Kodak filters - Boxed

Kodak Retina snake chain

Diffuser for Retina Reflex III meter

Kodak Retina Reflex IV Manual

I'm a happy man
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! A nice set alltogether.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, excellent haul! this is such a fun camera to use, ive had the three and now have a iv with full complement of lenses, and i really enjoy shooting these. my personal experience is the 35/2.8 and the tele arton 85/4 are really stunning, and also very compact. all these lenses produce really well on my ep2 as well. look forward to seeing some images.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the lookout for a 35/2.8 at a good price as this is one lens I'd like to give a try.

I'm still on the fence on whether to sell some of the above equipment as the lenses are all duplicate to what I have already, although the condition of the recent purchase is quite a bit better than those I'm currently using.
The Reflex III certainly makes you take your time when shooting but then again, when you are out for the day taking images, you're supposed to take your time and be selective.

I was fortunate to obtain a Kodak Retina spacer (Kodaks term but basically a 20mm extension tube) so now shooting with the 200mm has become a little more useful for closer up work. The 200mm has a minimum focus of 29 feet, with the spacer the minimum focus is reduced to a respectable 6 feet. On the 28mm however, I can get close to 1:1

rbelyell - Good that you can use the lenses on the EP2. I've tried to get used to digital but I don't think that there one out there for me, too complicated or too restrictive. I took a look at a Fujifilm X10 the other day and found that it was as close as I could get to feeling good about a digital, the only problem is that they insist on making these cameras small. If the could make an X10 the size of a Minolta 7s, and not fill in any empty real estate with a button, I'd be in. - Since when did all the photographers out there get really small hands?

Some recent images with lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely work! ferrania film?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film was actually a bulk purchase from a local Walmat of all places. It is a Kodak film that was part of a promotion and most was close to the expiry date.

I managed to get 40 rolls at 47 cents a roll. 40 rolls for $18 is not bad. Sadly these are poor scans, trying to decide whether to purchase a decent scanner to get the best out of the images I take.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great film find; the saturated colors reminded me of ferrania.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent set ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. In aquiring this purchase I now have the piece of mind that I'm covered on the lens front. Just need to keep an eye open for another Reflex III or alternatively a Retina IIIs of which I still have to try.

The Retinas are a little quirky and the the cord that connects the meter to the aperture ring is always of concern to me, so I will certainly need a back up in due time.

It really took me a while to fully adopt the Retina Reflex III as a go to camera especially in light of the convenieces the digital age affords you.

Best addition to the system however was the Kata W-92 camera pack. This bag is shallow in depth and is ideally suited for the SK lenses that the Retina utilizes. The side pocket will comfortably hold the 200mm f4.8 as well as the lens shade. nice thing is that the case opens away from the body. Seems all cases now are loo deep and the small SK lenses are simply drowned. Going vintage on the case was a concern from a fungal stand point; it's already hard enough to keep vintage cameras clear in this regards.

I hope to acquire a 35mm and 85mm in the future, although this may take it's time, no rush