Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 1,5/58 ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 1,5/58 ??? Reply with quote

I bought recently two Meyer lenses:

Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 1,9/7,5cm (Exakta) #9930xx
Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 1,5/58 (Exakta) #1061xxx

My wonder is that Primoplan 1,5/58 version. I can't find any information about this lens from the net.
F 1,9 versions are maybe quite common (at least you can find some information about those),
but this 1,5/58 version.. .. ? I can't found any information about that lens at all.Question

I'm really happy if someone can tell something about this mysterious Primoplan 1,5/58.

a few pics the lens itself
(in these pics the rear cap and exakta => eos adapter just to get some kind scale about the size of the lens)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I never heard too! You did got two rare valuable lens ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: lovely looking lenses Reply with quote

They sure look smart lenses and look in very good condition, do you have any shots taken with them? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy s**t, you hit the motherlode! please keep the info flowing on these!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, never heard about it before. That's a real find!!!

Guess it is a prototype!
The numbering with the gaps between the number blocks indicates that.
I have few later protos with such a kind of numbering

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I look forward to seeing some images from this mysterious lens Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a misengraving? the f/2 aperture stop is missing and the f/1.5 is where the f/1.9 would be expected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to tell I think would be a side-by-side comparison with a 58/1.9

I had a 1.9 Primotar and I do think the glass on this seems wider than mine had, but thats just a subjective impression.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks both stunning and rare, massive congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and many thanks for your kind answers to my question Friends!

I'm really sorry for this very late responce (I've been 'on the road' few days and I'm extremely busy also in coming days, but I'll try to take and send here some test pics with that lens as soon I can in coming days...)

Prototype.Shocked Shocked Shocked WoW!Laughing
I expected that it's rare, but a prototype!!!ShockedShockedShocked

At first very big warning relating to these my purchases (at least for Finnish readers here).
I bought these two Meyers from my first visit to one local small camera repair shop (for old cameras and lenses) at Helsinki
http://www.saunalahti.fi/kamerahu/index.html It's really dangerous place for MFL-fools like us!Laughing
Like candy store! Laughing Just small shop, but all those shiny and intresting items there..Shocked

I don't know if they send internationally or not, but in this link some kind small selection about their warranty maintained lenses and cameras on sale at the moment (they said that they update this list weekly) http://www.saunalahti.fi/kamerahu/page3.html (and all those items comes with 6 month warranty!!!)
If you're someday interested of something there, their email: kamerahuolto.ml@saunalahti.fi
Just an exellent and very very dangerous place!!! Very Happy

Back to the lenses. Those both (Primoplan1.5/58 and 1,9/7,5cm) didn't focus to infinity with my 7D. => with their warranty service they fixed both lenses for my use. For that 1,9/7,5cm it has been easy job to do, but with this 1,5/58 it has been more difficult. The correction to focus to infinity for my 7D with that 1.5/58 made 50cm loss with the closest focusing distance (0,7m =>1.2m) but it's now fixed like that as an all around lens for my use. It can be easily turn back as it was before, but it's now fixed for my use like this.

I've taken just few test shots with those lenses when I was on my way back from that shop. First impressions are that at full aperture (F1.5) that 58mm is very soft, but somewhere after F/2 => very nice Meyer and that (pre war lens) 1.9/75cm feels just exellent for portraits purposes.

Sorry about this quick and very long and late response (with my poor english) for your kind posts.
I'll try to take and post some test pics as soon I can here.

At this picture those both Meyers I bought from they (Primoplan 1.5/58 and 1,9/7,5cm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both lenses look very exotic!
I'm glad that I'm using Nikon... otherwise I would be buried beneath all the lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7,5cm lens value is over 2000 USD other perhaps more ... if you not ruin it... so be careful about modifications

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both lens are exotic... The exakta adapter you get cannot give you infinity as it is too thick. Try to get one a quality adapter so both your lens will focus to infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7,5cm lens value is over 2000 USD other perhaps more ... if you not ruin it... so be careful about modifications

Yes, please please please don't modify vintages lenses that are not only considerably more valuable (in terms of both cost & rarity) than your camera but will also outlast it by many decades.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they aren't that expensive, but in my case I would sell it to the collectors and get the money to afford something more mundane to do my shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
where's drooling icon Very Happy
congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

themoleman342 wrote:
Yes, please please please don't modify vintages lenses that are not only considerably more valuable (in terms of both cost & rarity) than your camera but will also outlast it by many decades.

Yes, If I had known (or guess) that's prototype, I wouldn't have allowed to do any changes for that at all. But as I wrote, it's easily to be turned back just as it was before. So not any harm was done to the lens.

By the way, one friend found this from somewhere. Not the same lens, but also Primoplan 1,5

Here's some quick test shots with the Primoplan 1,5/50. Nothing special, just my testing the lens here and there. These without any cropping. Normal little sharpening with raw=>jpg conversion
and some small exposure corrections with some pics.

from the flower shop

(F1.5)

(F4)

(F1.5)

(maybe F2-2.8 )

and using it as some kind all aroud lens (maybe F4-5)

(maybe F4-5)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing images, rare opportunity to see any picture taken with this lens. Nice lens I like it, with proper PP I think it will be very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote