Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Six TL question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Pentacon Six TL question Reply with quote

I just found a Pentacon Six TL with Zeiss 80mm f2.8 lens. The film/shutter advance lever will not work. It appears stuck. Is it locked up or just locked? Someone please help.

thank you,
Durr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably had the shutter speed adjusted before being wound on. If that's the case, it's a paper weight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably already know the site, but it's a useful thread to bring to other people's attention in case they haven't heard of it...

http://www.pentaconsix.com/

Everything you need to know about Pentacon Six cameras, but were afraid to ask. It also helps dispel a few of the myths about the P6.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Probably had the shutter speed adjusted before being wound on. If that's the case, it's a paper weight.

That only applies to some of the Russian rangefinders - the P6 albeit with it's own quirks, doesn't suffer from that particular problem.

durr3's problem sounds like it's jammed.

.....or it's on the 12th exposure - either with film or without. Either open the back to reset the counter or flick the 220 switch to wind on further.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
That only applies to some of the Russian rangefinders

Then can I send you the repair bill for a Kiev 88 when I try it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Checking the manual from the link above, it is possible to change the shutter speeds before or after cocking the shutter. However I'm still not convinced as this is not an official manual (it calls the camera a Pentagon).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Then can I send you the repair bill for a Kiev 88 when I try it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Checking the manual, it is possible to change the shutter speeds before or after cocking the shutter so disregard my earlier post.

I knew that some of the Russian RFs were like this but not the Kiev 88 which I've just read about on Wikipedia.

Can I use ignorance as a get out clause...? Laughing

As for the P6, as a long time user, I can assure you that changing the shutter speed without cocking it hasn't affected my camera, neither does it suffer from the frame-spacing issue for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Checking the manual, it is possible to change the shutter speeds before or after cocking the shutter so disregard my earlier post.

I knew that some of the Russian RFs were like this but not the Kiev 88 which I've just read about on Wikipedia.

Can I use ignorance as a get out clause...? Laughing

As for the P6, as a long time user, I can assure you that changing the shutter speed without cocking it hasn't affected my camera, neither does it suffer from the frame-spacing issue for that matter.

Looking at the Prakisix manual, this one needs to be uncocked to change shutter speeds. It's such a minefield that I'm not surprised there is confusion, let alone broken cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was largely the Praktisix that gave the later models the bad reputation and may well have caused a lot of confusing myths in the process.

All the vagaries of a planned economy.

That said, I've had my P6TL for years and to date it's never let me down. Only problem I ever had was with the Biometar 80 lens that had some oil on the aperture blades. I've shot Velvia 50 with the kit and it's just great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I have three of them and my first camera 25 yrs ago was also P6.

first one did works properly P6 latest model
second one P6 latest model film transport not works at all
third one 6x4,5 modified camera for Hungarian police genuine film transport kicked out , works properly
fourth one Praktisix 1/125 not works at all shutter not close open like B all other speeds are works properly my main 6x6 camera now.
In my experience need proper maintenance and luck to have a working one, hard to fix them and costly if possible at all.
My experienced repair man rather buy a working one than start to fix them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon Six TL question Reply with quote

durr3 wrote:
I just found a Pentacon Six TL with Zeiss 80mm f2.8 lens. The film/shutter advance lever will not work. It appears stuck. Is it locked up or just locked? Someone please help.

thank you,
Durr

You need a repairman who can do the maintenance. Some time ago I had one with the same problem and it did cost me about 120€ to get it fixed. Here in Germany we do have some good repairman who know the P6 quiete well.