Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rathenow microscope with native camera adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Rathenow microscope with native camera adapter Reply with quote

Hello,
I bought a used old Rathenower microscope.
I bought it for 80€ (I bargained it down easily from 150€ Smile) at a local pawn shop

Condition is very good after some cleaning. Everything is really well build (weight of the microscope is about 5-10kg) still runs perfectly smooth.

It's a modular system. I came with 2 oculars (one 6x Rathenower and one 10x Leitz) and 4 old objectives (12,5x; 24x, 50x, and 100x Oel; the 50x seems to be broken). The objektives have RMS-Mount, the ocular have a diameter slightly below 1".

And now the interesting thing: It came with a camera adapter (at least it was sold as camera adapter) instead of a revolver!

It has 2 apertures (can somebody explain why?) and one zoom or focusing element (the first crank from the left).
The middle-part of the adapter has a semitransparent mirror (like from a new Sony A SLT).

It has a female screw mount, a little larger than C-Mount (maybe 29mm, didn't measure it)
Can someone say for what camera(-mount) this was made?
Is it possible to adapt this a DSLR?
And if not, is it possible to get get a classic revolver for it (for better picture quality)?

By the way it's very easy to mount my NEX on the microscope even without the native adapter as the ocular tubes are exactly 1" in diameter my C-Mount-to-NEX adapter perfectly fits on it. Only problem is vignetting as the tubes a smaller than the sensor of the NEX.

At the moment I have only the old Rathenower lenses which are producing some blue, red, yellow and green CAs and having little big flaring problems (low contrast) when taking phots with reflected light so taking photos with it is not a big joy at the moment.
Do you like to see example anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly there was a dedicated camera body for it with a unique mount.
That may explain the aperture mechanism on the adapter/objective combination.

There were specially made microscope cameras at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outside of the camera adapter looks a lot like an early T-mount collar. I take it the diameter is too small?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of googling I found this on the net:
http://www.laboratorium.dp.ua/item/22/manual
It shows a part of the camera from a Rathenow Macrophot, which seems to be a similar microscope.
Unfortunately it's in russian and the google translate seems to be useles for russian --> german, It's hard to understand a single phrase.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that one on the Russian site is certainly a custom camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian to English seems fairly readable.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.laboratorium.dp.ua%2Fitem%2F22%2Fmanual