Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which Helios 44 should I get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: which Helios 44 should I get? Reply with quote

There seems to be a myriad of helios-44 variants. I would like to know how they differ from each other and which one do you guys recommend, and why.

The helios 44-2 seems to be the most common model and has very positive reviews. I'm inclined to buy that specific one, but should I buy other instead? What's the difference?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: which Helios 44 should I get? Reply with quote

jito wrote:
There seems to be a myriad of helios-44 variants. I would like to know how they differ from each other and which one do you guys recommend, and why.

The helios 44-2 seems to be the most common model and has very positive reviews. I'm inclined to buy that specific one, but should I buy other instead? What's the difference?

Depends on your preferences. Helios 44 and Helios 44-2 are preset lenses, focus ring is thin and placed very close to a mount. Helios-44M has A/M switch. Others are fully "automatic". Some old silver versions of Helios 44 have 13 blades aperture and this creates perfect circles at each F setting. Newer versions of Helios 44, Helios 44-2 and Helios-44M have 8 aperture blades. Other versions have 6 blades. Newer versions are multicoated. Helios 44-3 is actually newer lens, preset with wide focus ring, 8 aperture blades and multicoated.

http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,highlight,%2Bgetting+%2Bcloser.html

Last edited by dimitrygo on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only comment I'd llike to give is that you won't be dissapointed with whichever version you finally own, they are all fantistic value for money and a joy to use. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of them:

44 (Alu m39 mount, preset with 13 aperture blades) x2,
44-2 (m42 mount, preset with 8 aperture blades) x2,
44M (Auto/Manual with 8 aperture blades) 4+,
44M-4 (Auto only with 6 aperture blades) x2.

44: is not bad but a little softer than later models. Bokeh is circular at all apertures. Fine on 5D (just)
I'd say the 44-2 has the best value for money. The sharpness is good, 8 blade aperture so bokeh is fine when stopped down, preeset is easy to use with DSLR (hits 5D mirror though)
44M looks about the same as 44-2 but A/M switch instead of preset so easy on DSLR. Fine on 5D
44M-4 I use as body caps on M42 cameras Laughing

There is also a 44-3 MC which is supposed to be the best, but prices are crazy and some cannot be mounted on DSLRs.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice avatar btw!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
The only comment I'd llike to give is that you won't be dissapointed with whichever version you finally own, they are all fantistic value for money and a joy to use. Very Happy

+1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 44-2 is probably my best choice. I don't have any preset lens, but I like the concept.

Has anyone mounted it on an EOS crop body? Supposedly the mirror on crop bodies is smaller.

Looking at this picture I notice it goes quite deep inside the mount.

What's that metal fringe for? I'm suspecting I'll need to remove it in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 44M and the 44-2, a pair of each actually, and love them. I use the 44M mostly because the 44-2's are slightly stiff focusing and tend to unscrew out of the adapter. The 44M has the bigger base and I've drilled them to take the locking pin on my K10.
But they are both great lenses to use, I get a good success rate with them both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jito wrote:

What's that metal fringe for? I'm suspecting I'll need to remove it in some way.

This is not Helios-44.
There is no mirror problem with crop Canon.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt to add to what the others have said, really. They just never made a bad'un Very Happy

My 44-2 is my most-used lens, and the one I enjoy using most.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture shows the Mir 1B/V.

I'd say, because of the commonality, go for the 44-2. They will come the cheapest and offer great performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
jito wrote:

This is not Helios-44.

It looks like a Mir-1B.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops, sorry. That is indeed the mir-1v. I was looking at the wrong picture, I ended up fooling myself. LOL.

But well, getting a bit off topic, I'll take the chance to ask anyway: does the mir-1v has the mirror issue on the rebel?

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I was hoping that the helios 44-2 was a good choice as I find its looks cool Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older ones (non-MC 44-2) have slightly badlier flare control but I prefer them because of a better focusing ring.
The 44M-7 is said to have I higher resolution than all other Helios 44Ms and 44-2, but in fact my 44-2 is not as good in the centre but better in the corners
blablabla, does not matter, take the cheapest you can get in a good condition. They are all good.

The price for Helios 44 lenses is currently exploding here at German Ebay.
Saw one going for above 50€

Got mine with a Zenit Body less than 1 year ago for 9€ in perfect condition on Ebay

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, the resolution figures are not so cut and dry. If you've seen the chart you'd assume the difference between an original 44 and 44m-7 would be staggering. Having owned ~25 helios variations, I can tell you it just ain't that simple. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think quality spreading may be a reason of different resolution.
Quality spreading is another reason not care about which one is the best.
The best 44-2 will be a lot better than the worst 44M-3 or 44M-7 etc.
They all have the same optical formula.

If you want to use later it on analog SLR camera, than take one with automatic (the 44Ms)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried about 5 different ones.

If you want cold resolution, then go with the newest ones... 7 was it ?
If you want awesomeness, then 44-2, and try to get the KMZ one, its far superior to the rest. (mine was)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on they are dirt cheap , take all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Eh, the resolution figures are not so cut and dry. If you've seen the chart you'd assume the difference between an original 44 and 44m-7 would be staggering. Having owned ~25 helios variations, I can tell you it just ain't that simple. Wink

Yes, especially when the label ring can be so easily replaced you never know actually what version you buy. I even saw single coated lens with an MC on the label. Swapping label rings between let's say 44M-4 and 44M-7 is unnoticeable and canot be proved.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, especially when the label ring can be so easily replaced you never know actually what version you buy. I even saw single coated lens with an MC on the label. Swapping label rings between let's say 44M-4 and 44M-7 is unnoticeable and canot be proved.

I've noticed that too. It seems to be a more common occurrence though now that the entire series is getting more recognition and the Helios 44m-7 commands decent prices (~80US if advertised properly). I've always tried to cross reference body serial #s with lens #s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:

If you want awesomeness, then 44-2, and try to get the KMZ one, its far superior to the rest. (mine was)

I would have to agree with Joosep, the KMZ is the one to get.

I recently got a 44 13 blade version, and was surprised at how easy it is to get purple flare(coating color), I need to do some tests to determine where it's coming from since I've only used it once so far.
I'll update this post with my findings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I've found the 44s I have to be softer than my 44-2s. Do you think this is down to QC or was there a known difference?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still searching for the perfect helios Laughing
but i you want to take a look at some crops from several helios lenses you can kinda see what the difference is..
you know all the MC version supposed to be more contrasty in harder light conditions, maybe overall colors should be better, but it seems that the older version 44-2 is the sharpest in center i dunno you can look at this link for the comparison:
http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-tests-x4-helios-44s-sharpness-test-t41758.html