Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

In the bleak midwinter...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: In the bleak midwinter... Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series! I love them all! Good work!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange feelings... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more done after dark:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very atmospheric like a Harry Potter movie. Lovely!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Willem, I was aiming for an atmospheric look rather than very realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent set but number 5 is awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy, I think 5 is the best of the set too.

All the daylight ones were with my Industar-N61 2.8/53, lovely small lens. The two night-time ones were with Konica Hexanon 3.5/28.

Another night-time one I did the following night with the Hexanon:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's come from left field for me. I'm used to your gorgeous panoramic landscapes, so seeing these took me by surprise. But it's a pleasant surprise Cool

For reasons I can't put into words, number 1 really appeals to me.

Nice set Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 1 too, of the street shots, I think that's the best.

I decided to try the same technique I use for landscapes on a different subject and it seems to work just as well imho.

I like the way it allows the exploration of perspective and vanishing point in composition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 2nd night one, well done

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers dude. I like the way the long exposures make the streets look deserted as the people disappear, many walked past while I was shooting that. Most of the cars that drove past disappeared as well, you can see a few streaks from their lights but that's the only evidence of life.

I tried another stitched panorama today, didn't really turn out that good, but I'm learning rapidly how to do these, part of the problem with this one was I shot it with my Tokina 17mm so it needed less shots to make up the whole pano and it resulted in too much distortion to be able to fully correct it.

I tried to PP it extensively and don't think I really improved it.

I actually much prefer this simple shot of some rain puddles, Tokina 17mm, 6 shot HDR then processed in Silver EFEX using the underexposed preset. Bleak I think, which works.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this shot from my front doorstep yesterday, Tokina 17mm again, I don't normally like distorted views but this one works I think, I abandoned any pretense at realistic colours as it's not a realistic view to begin with.

I quite like this shot when processed with the vintage preset in Silver EFEX, makes it lower key, more moody.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried a shot down the street, it came out pretty boring:

So I played with the colours and contrast and added some radial blur, pretty unconventional but I think it works, has a really feeling of motion imho:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Very atmospheric like a Harry Potter movie. Lovely!

+1 quiet incredible you could manage it in crappy light.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEX is a remarkable little camera, it has to take much of the credit, the rest is extensive PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only managed half an hour's shooting yesterday but I'm quite pleased with the results as it was as dark as it can get during the day and we had gale force winds, I had to hold onto the tripod!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not looks like real anymore Shocked ....Well, I'm normaly not a big fan for such extreme HDR but I must admit that it's well done and the atmosphere of your pictures (especialy the last serie) is quite impressive!....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Pascal. I prefer a more realistic look with most subjects, but for these shots around my town in the middle on winter with so little sunlight I think it is better to liven them up than to accept the extremely flat and gray images you get with traditional methods.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thankyou Pascal. I prefer a more realistic look with most subjects, but for these shots around my town in the middle on winter with so little sunlight I think it is better to liven them up than to accept the extremely flat and gray images you get with traditional methods.

100% agree with that.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I'm just glad I've found a technique that allows shooting in bad light, which can be 50% of the year here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers. I'm just glad I've found a technique that allows shooting in bad light, which can be 50% of the year here!

Sad for you Sad ....
Well, I think it still must be use "carefully" (and not for all subjects!) otherwise, it could be also becoming boring.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Pascal, I don't want to fall into the trap of making all my images have the same look.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the B&W ones, but I've never been a fan of the colours that come from obvious HDR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got an hour or two of decent sunlight yesterday so I managed to shoot a few more images further exploring perspective. Because of the better light I didn't have to play with the colours allowing more realistic images imho.