Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

R.A. Goldmann 18x42cm Voigtlander Heliar 4,5/210mm traveler
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: R.A. Goldmann 18x42cm Voigtlander Heliar 4,5/210mm traveler Reply with quote

English type traveler camera.

This is what I call 'fullframe' Laughing Laughing sensor size is 18x24cm

Last edited by Attila on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard would it have been to carry one of these around!...errr could you hold that pose while I set up... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the transport of the negatives (in glass?) might be a pain.
Nothing for handheld anyhow.
But a beautifull piece!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole darkroom was needed back then, all pictures was developed when material was still wet. In some materials from year 1860, they say only 3 horses were needed for landscape photographer Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petr22 wrote:
Whole darkroom was needed back then, all pictures was developed when material was still wet. In some materials from year 1860, they say only 3 horses were needed for landscape photographer Smile

Laughing and we can whinge about our heavy modern DLSRs.. Rolling Eyes

It is a really nice piece Attila,are these cameras butchered for their lenses?.... and will it be a candidate for you to take it out to photograph buda castle? (half serious... half joking Wink )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For first photographs of top of Mont Blanc mountain, 250kg of equipment was needed. Photographers must prepares his glass plates, take photographs, and develop them in darkroom, everything on the summit. He was able to take three photographs.

This Goldmann camera was build around year 1900 in Vienna, capital of Austro-Hungarian Empire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely thing, like most of these wooden cameras.

As for butchering, etc. - 8x10 (same as 18x24cm) cameras are quite valuable by themselves, even without a lens.

This one which seems to be in beautiful shape, would be worth a substantial amount I would think, in the hundreds of dollars, even without the Heliar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one (scroll down a bit) was sold for 264 euro at auction in 2010 - it included an f/6.3 240mm Dagor.
I don't think the vendor did a good job, just the Dagor could bring a better price on ebay.

http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=197084&acat=197084&lang=3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dagor is a top lens, buyer was damn lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I don't think the vendor did a good job, just the Dagor could bring a better price on ebay.

Maybe. The really high priced Dagors aren't Berlin lenses, but the US made coated/multicoated ones from the fifties or later, and are valued mostly by US buyers - IMHO half out of patriotism, half because its size and weight come in handy for their Ansel Adams-inspired tradition of large format hiking excursions into National Parks.