Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Death in Texas
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Death in Texas Reply with quote

Tree death, that is. This past summer was one of the most brutal on record for the State of Texas. Houston City officials have estimated that as many as 10% of the city's 660 million trees died due to the summer heat and drought conditions. If my own house is any indication, I'd say that number is conservative. At the beginning of the summer we had 12 trees in our yard. Now we have 9. A 25% loss. Three old pines -- the three tallest trees on our lot -- didn't make it. The last time it got this hot here was the summer of 2000, and that summer we lost two old pines. So we're down to one left now, but we still have five oaks, a couple of mulberries and pecans, and a small assortment of other species.

I had a tree service come out late last month to cut down the dead pines and remove them. It was sad to see them go, but what can you do? After they had been cut, I counted tree rings. The youngest was 64 years old, and the oldest was 77. Our house was built in 1948, so the youngest was just a sapling when the house was new.

I decided to do something constructive while the crew was busy taking down the trees -- try out some of my recent photographic acquisitions and use the tree men as subjects. Last month I was the successful bidder on a Canon EF, aka the "Black Beauty."

It arrived in great condition -- a solid Exc+. Fortunately, everything works on the camera, which was a relief, because there are very few camera techs who work on the EF anymore. It is a very tricky camera to work on.

The EF was Canon's first camera with an Auto mode: Shutter Priority AE. Well, if you neglect the Servo EE finder for the Old F-1, that is, which converts it into an SP AE camera as well. The EF also works very well in full manual model. Like Canon's A-series cameras, it displays the shutter speeds you select, but only displays aperture values that it recommends, not the one actually selected. The EF has shutter speeds from 30 seconds to 1/1000, plus B. 1 second to 30 seconds are electronically controlled, the remainder are mechanical. A somewhat uncommon feature for a camera like this is mirror lock up. It uses the same basic 4-in-1 combination self-timer/mirror lock up/depth of field preview/stop down metering module that the F-1 and FTb use. Like the FTb, but unlike the F-1, it has non-interchangeable focusing screens and no motor option.

I selected three Tamron lenses to be used for my little photo shoot: 24mm f/2.5, SP 80-200mm f/2.8 LD, and SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF. For film I shot a roll of Ektar 100 and Memories 200 (bought it at the 99 cent store for 99 cents), which appears to be made by Fuji and is likely repackaged Fujicolor 200.

I scanned the images on my Epson 4990 scanner. I just didn't feel like using my duplicating outfit for this because I knew that Ektar would give me fits as I tried to convert it. Memories/Fuji would most likely convert over with minimal difficulties, but I shot only 24 exposures of that emulsion, whereas I shot 36 exposures of the Ektar. So, I lost some resolution because of the scanner, but I figure the images will be good enough for display here. The prints that I got back from the photo finisher showed results that were very sharp, but I'm not getting that same impression when I look at the scans. Oh well. Here goes:

Tree-climbing guy. Tamron SP 80-200mm f/2.8, Memories 200 (Fujcolor)

Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF, Ektar 100

Tamron 24mm, Memories 200

I was hand-holding the camera/lens for all shots. The sky was overcast -- probably 1 to 2 stops off 'bright sun', which was just about right. I wanted to shoot with the camera on the "A" setting, mostly just to make sure the AE system was working, but I also wanted to shoot with my lenses wide open or close to it. So I just paid attention to the aperture readout the camera was showing and adjusted shutter speeds accordingly.

Every photo above had some image manipulation done. Several required that I adjust the color -- the Memories 200 film expired October last year, but I think the color shift is more likely due to improper storage. I ran a high-pass sharpening filter over those images that needed it. And all of the images got some increase in contrast.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta give kudos to any man who would operate a chainsaw at a fair height off the ground while tied to a tree!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Mike and great subject,I wonder if it costs the same in Texas as over here for tree removal?? For a large sized Gum tree about $500-$1000au easy.

Towards the end of our drought when you looked at the surrounding bush/forest you could start to see large parts of it starting to die...turning brown, especially the smaller trees.The rains came and everything has grown and recovered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, I was getting quotes from $800 to $1000 per tree, but then our gardener recommended a service that was willing to give us a quantity break -- $500 a tree. They did a good job; if we have need of a service in the future, I'm calling them first.

I agree, Ian. This guy was totally at home up there. His feet didn't touchdown until both those trees had been cut to within about four feet off the ground. (See the last photo for the two trees I'm talking about.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Same here, some serious money in tree removals,You just have to know the right person.
You had some hard light to work with but the film seems to have handled it ok.

My friends husband did this sort of work until he fell...some serious damage (thankfully recovered) he had to go into another line of work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity of such large trees!
Most amazing in your pictures for me is that the guys work with a chainsaw without eye protection! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and showing some pop and......... a good subject to cover not using a blower to remove dust spots before scanning Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great shots! Well done!

And yes, it's a shame to see trees that big die! Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
You had some hard light to work with but the film seems to have handled it ok.

Well, that's the nice thing about shooting with print film. I knew ahead of time that dealing with exposure while pointing the camera at wide patches of sky would be a problem, but I wanted to see the way the EF handled it, and also just how much exposure latitude the film had. If I would have been shooting with slide film, I'd have been taking ambient readings and using my spot meter to determine EV differences. As it is, I used the Backlight Correction Level setting in Epson Scan on almost ever photo, so there was little I had to do in that sort of adjustment in post processing. Oops, forgot to mention that above. I also used Epson Scan's Grain Reduction setting on some of the photos, but I didn't use either of the Dust Removal options. I don't like the way Epson Scan handles dust removal. I pretty much always use Epson Scan's Unsharp Masking routine, set to medium.

Minolfan wrote:

Most amazing in your pictures for me is that the guys work with a chainsaw without eye protection!

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Chances are, they were in violation of more than one OSHA regulation. Cool I figure OSHA would probably require earplugs as well, and everyone should be wearing hardhats.

Excalibur wrote:

Nice shots and showing some pop and......... a good subject to cover not using a blower to remove dust spots before scanning

Heh. Yeah, it's hard to tell which are dust spots and which are chips flying. I spotted a few of the images -- mostly to remove small hairs or fibers, but with all those woodchips flying I wasn't going to get all anal about it.

Thanks, LucisPictor!

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael, great sentiment and great use of your new equipment. i know we always do all we can to save any of our trees, and when some inevitlably die, we feel terribly about it.

on a lighter note, are you loving ektar or what? just wish it was less expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see this great trees when they destroyed I can imagine your feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about Ektar. Price-wise, it's not so bad. I buy it from a local camera shop for about $5 for a roll of 36 exposures.

Sure I love its fineness of grain, and I think it does a good job handling colors. But when I scan it with my Epson, I invariably have to correct for color because earth tones don't scan accurately. A light brown, for instance, scans as an almost lavender color.

And Ektar gives me fits when I use my slide duplicator with roll film stage with it. Too much "Ektar Orange" which means too much cyan in the reversed image. I still haven't figured out how to get rid of it all.

Yes, Atilla, it's sad. But there wasn't much we could do. We were watering our lawn and our trees every morning last summer, but I guess it still wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
What a pity of such large trees!
Most amazing in your pictures for me is that the guys work with a chainsaw without eye protection! Shocked

Hahaha they're not wearing chainsaw pants either and I'd much rather skip eye protection then chainsaw pants. The sawdust flies in a predictable path and it's not hard to keep your face out of the spray.

It's never fun to lose nice trees, I've got one very sickly looking one in the back yard that I'm hoping will perk up in the spring. There was so much rain last spring/summer that we had standing water in the yard for weeks at a time, I think the tree half drowned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You coward!!! I cut them down myself Smile Draw an X on the ground and see how close I can get. I also pray a little that it doesn't go the other direction. Seems I have a few that die each year. Same happened up in New Jersey when I lived there - I lost my elms to Dutch Elm disease.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Death in Texas Reply with quote

Hi,Michael,Happy New Year from Canada. Nice score with the camera & great shots with the 80-200 2.8,I just received a mint copy just before Xmas & haven't had time to shoot with it yet.All the best for 2012,Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice action series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your country has fewer health and safety restrictions than here in merrie olde England. Hereabouts you can't go near a chainsaw without helmet, facemask, ear defender, chainsaw proffe boots and leggings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
And your country has fewer health and safety restrictions than here in merrie olde England. Hereabouts you can't go near a chainsaw without helmet, facemask, ear defender, chainsaw proffe boots and leggings.

Who says? Sure you can. When "they" say I can't is when I decide I will.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules are different for businesses and home/landowners. Even I have earmuffs and safety glasses. Sure there is rigid H&S here; see not everybody always complies. At home on the land there are H&S recommendations, of course.

Rare skills shown here! What for is that battery(?) box on back of his cap? I wonder where the wood went...nice and air-dried...

Plant some more trees!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryss, I haven't had my Tamron 80-200/2.8 for very long, either. Prior to this episode, about all I'd done with it was taking shots of a few birds hanging around my dog's food dish and water bucket.

Here's a common grackle perched atop the dog's water bucket, shot with the 80-200 Tamron and my EOS DSLR:

And a 100% crop of the above image. I don't recall if I ran any sharpening routines on the photo. Perhaps a bit of USM.

I took similar images of grackles and doves with my Tamron 300/2.8, but I've removed them from my computer and archived them all to DVD. Don't feel like going through the the DVDs right now. But I have some more up at my website from a recent airshow that I took with the 300/2.8. I'm thinking that I might have already posted some of these here, but hey, I don't mind showing them again. I really do love that lens. And the 80-200. It's only partially off-topic, since I'm still discussing the lenses used when the tree cutters were here.

A very rare Grumman F7F Tigercat

A Vietnam-era MiG-17

The Canadian Snowbirds Aerobatic Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Rare skills shown here! What for is that battery(?) box on back of his cap? I wonder where the wood went...nice and air-dried...

Plant some more trees!

I dunno if that's a battery. I didn't even notice it until I was looking at the pictures. It might be a radio or mp3 player.

As for planting more trees -- well we did that when we moved in here, planting a couple of oak trees. They're each at least 20 feet tall now and about 8 inches in diameter. Problem with this property though is we are living in a tired old house on a big lot, and what folks are doing in this neighborhood, when they buy an old house, they tear it down and build a big mansion on the lot. My house is 1450 sq. ft. The new ones being built in our neighborhood are anywhere from 3500 to 5000 sq. ft. Many of these new homes are so large that there isn't much room for trees on the lot, so they end up cutting some of them down. A pity. I'm just concerned that if I were to plant new ones that might encounter a similar fate one day.

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots of aircraft Michael,I spent 9years with R.A.F in UK on Avro Vulcans before coming to Canada.A local guy has a Tamron 300 2.8+1.4x teleconverter,in absolute mint condition,says he just spent $300 on CLA by Tamron I assume,wants $1100 for it but since I shoot mainly Macro cannot justify buying, but I am having hard job to resist,still available after about 6weeks on ad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the pain of loosing a tree, I have spent the last 39 years planting them on our property. This fall I cut down three Elms that died that grew wild.

I have transformed a bald hill into a park-like setting since 1973 with trees.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Beautiful shots of aircraft Michael,I spent 9years with R.A.F in UK on Avro Vulcans before coming to Canada.A local guy has a Tamron 300 2.8+1.4x teleconverter,in absolute mint condition,says he just spent $300 on CLA by Tamron I assume,wants $1100 for it but since I shoot mainly Macro cannot justify buying, but I am having hard job to resist,still available after about 6weeks on ad.

Well, $1100 is up there at the top of the market with that lens these days. He might get lucky, but I suspect not. Since it's been six weeks, he hasn't softened his position any? You can pick up clean examples on eBay on a more or less regular basis for $800 or less. Of course, even on eBay there are sellers who price this lens unrealistically high, but if you're patient you'll find one that fits both your budget and your concerns about condition and completeness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
I know the pain of loosing a tree, I have spent the last 39 years planting them on our property. This fall I cut down three Elms that died that grew wild.

I have transformed a bald hill into a park-like setting since 1973 with trees.

Man, that's dedication. Plus it's the sort that makes a difference.