Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Cassar-S 50mm f2.8 lens - Any Opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Cassar-S 50mm f2.8 lens - Any Opinions? Reply with quote

I have a Stienheil enlarger lens which is ok, so when I spotted this on evilbay I put in a chance bid on and forgot about it. Anyway, I noticed that I'd won, and less than my ceiling bid.

Anyway, any experience of it? It's probably average to good. i didn't really want another 50 but the price was right and I don't have any of there camera lenses. Damn LBA Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have it, I had 85mm and still have 135mm , due hard to find any bad 50mm lenses I expect good as than best ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh will be interested to see your results! I had the Cassaron 50/2.8 which made, um, very vintage looking images!

http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-munchen-50-2-8-edixa-auto-cassaron-t30283,highlight,%2Bsteinheil.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a triplet so I'm hoping for `interesting' bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Oooh will be interested to see your results! I had the Cassaron 50/2.8 which made, um, very vintage looking images!

Hmmm, I take it those shots were all wide open as the aperture stuck? I'm hoping this will be usable stopped down a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all wide open. But your lens could have a completely different optical scheme for all I know Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, but not got round to using it much yet. It has a beautiful softness wide open, but without feeling low quality. A stop or two in and it becomes nice and sharp and just oozes character in a way I can't describe.

Four random images from it from 2011 just after I prized it from Klaus' firm grip Laughing

Open - stopped down, open, stopped down etc

I plan to use it much more when I have finished re-lubing the focus thread, it'll probably become my "favourite fifty" as it has the same qualities as my Tamron 28 that I adore so much. Yet to test it on full-frame film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cassar 6.3/105 on one of my Foldex cameras - it's a nice sharp lens. But with a max aperture of 6.3 it had better be.

I don't think the 50 will be any better than a domiplan or meritar really. They're all very similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them a lot, and they are NOT enlarger, but taking lenses.
Quite nice triplets as most of the Steinheils (Cassar, Cassarit,
but not the Quinons)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples and opinions. I have the Meritar and quite like it, so hopefully this will be similar..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, you outbid me on this one. I picked up a Meyer Trioplan 2.9/50 instead.