Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yellow Filter Faux Infrared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Yellow Filter Faux Infrared Reply with quote

On Christmas I went to Pioneer, California, for the day and had my Nikon F3 and a 50mm f2 lens fitted wit ha Y2 filter. I brought that filter simply to add contrast because the film I was using, Kodak Pan-X 125, is 35 years old and I suspected it may have been stored in a garage much of that time. The film is foggy, but the images usable. The following images are the same, the first straight from the scanner and the second with some postprocessing.

This is a sapling redwood tree and the leaves are still young, light green, reflecting a higher percentage of yellow light than older leaves. So with the yellow filter lightening the yellow spectrum, and I had wondered this as I took the photo, the yellows became very white on the final image and gave it an effective pseudo or faux infrared look. I postprocessed most of that out in exchange for increased detail and contrast.

That shot was my favorite of that day and, since it was my first, I could have put the cameras away then and been happy. But two others turned out acceptably. This one, of new foliage on an old tree:

And this one of one of the property's many secluded sitting spots:

I had hoped to romp in the snow and get some good snow photos, but it was in the mid fifties. Such is life, sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your got really good result! I like both processed and non processed one!