Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon FM2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Nikon FM2 Reply with quote

I'm now a Nikonian ... too Wink

I will have this cleaned and checked. Everything seems fine except that the shutter has a catch when using very slow shutter speeds (1-3 seconds).

It has a serial number of N 751 7335. Any idea when this was made? Not sure if I have the early FM2 or FM2n.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine workhorse camera, congrats!
N in the s/n denotes an FM2n, you can double-check by means of the x-sync speed (should be 1/250) just to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SVP: Thank you very much for that bit of trivia Smile I'm glad I joined this forum. So many helpful photographers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! In my opinion Nikon made one of the best SLR cameras , I prefer Nikons over Contax, Leica etc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice camera indeed with maybe the best shutter ever.
That 1/250 flash sync is pretty amazing actually, and 1/4000 speed with a mechanical shutter also.
This is much better than the pro cameras of the time. Even the last pro film cameras made couldn't really improve much on that performance.

I have the old FM, which is a wonderful camera that I rarely use. That one just goes to 1/125 and 1/1000
I should use it more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have burned through three or four of those. Great camera. The FM3 was good too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's an FM2n as stated previously (flash sync 1/250s vs. the FM2 which had 1/200s). Since yours is an FM2n it's newer than 1984 (FM2 serial numbers started at 7000001).

Are the shutter blades flat or honey-comb pattern on them? If they're honeycomb then yours is about 1987-88, if shutter blades are flat then your FM2n is newer than 1989, likely dating to 1990 based on the serial (Mine was purchased new in 1991 and has serial 784xxxx.)

Your Nikkor 50/1.4 is considerably older, serial dates your lens to 1974.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@esox: It's the honeycomb. A friend in a local forum asked me the same and shared this link:

mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fefmshared/honeycomb/index.htm.

I checked and it's the same Smile