Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Diffraction limited aperture in real life
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Diffraction limited aperture in real life Reply with quote

I would imagine that the diffraction limits are not so much limits but more the point where you reach optimum performance (sharpness wise). If I want to get the maximum depth of field (a macro shot for example) I still need to use a small aperture. The diffraction limit might mean that the picture is less sharp but at least more of the picture is sharp. More depth of field can give a crisper image because we perceive it as sharper since more is in focus. Just some thoughts over my morning coffee. Is the diffraction thing a bit of a hype?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would imagine that the diffraction limits are not so much limits but more the point where you reach optimum performance (sharpness wise)

exactly, optimum performance (sharpness wise)

Quote:
If I want to get the maximum depth of field (a macro shot for example)

best macros are at f5.6 with focus stacking to get dof

Quote:
More depth of field can give a crisper image because we perceive it as sharper since more is in focus

less depth of field give a crisper image because the subject in focus pop
if everything is sharp, image is flat (usually called p&s or phone pic)

Quote:
Is the diffraction thing a bit of a hype?

for those viewing their pics at 800x600 , yes it is a hype
even an out of focus pic can be made crisp at 800x600 with little sharpening

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble really comes early with overcrowded sensors. My 50D is rated to reach diffraction at f/7.1 which is a bit worrying since f/8 and f/11 are still widely useful with wide lenses.
I have yet to do a test between my 50D and my 20D but i'm expecting more detail out of the former since has more megapixels until f/8, then the results should change according to the maths.
I guess one should do some tests with his gear to better understand what are the real limits of the things he's using. Anyway, i never use apertures narrower than f/11 so i'm still within the acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Diffraction limited aperture in real life Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:

It's not a hype at all.
Without this phenomenon photography wouldn't existed.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
[...]

Quote:

[...]

Depends on sensor, right? f/5.6 for APS-C, f/8 for FF & 35mm film...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
poilu wrote:
[...]

Quote:

[...]

Depends on sensor, right? f/5.6 for APS-C, f/8 for FF & 35mm film...

Dpends on pixel density.

Calculator here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diffraction limited aperture in real life Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Pontus wrote:

It's not a hype at all.
Without this phenomenon photography wouldn't existed.

I guess I expressed myself poorly. Of course diffraction exists as a physical phenomenon. What I meant was that diffraction limited does not mean that a nice (or even nicer) picture cannot be taken at a smaller aperture than the diffraction limit. I'm trying to say that yes, the optimum sharpness is at the diffraction limit but maybe the picture will look sharper at a smaller aperture because the depth of field is greater. As in architecture or landscape.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have stopped down to whatever aperture is necessary for the shot for a very long time Wink. I don't plan on changing that any time soon Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
We have stopped down to whatever aperture is necessary for the shot for a very long time Wink. I don't plan on changing that any time soon Smile

Nicely put.