Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st buy of 2008....a film camera!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: 1st buy of 2008....a film camera!! Reply with quote

Well....when i started in photography last summer I bought my dad's Minolta X700 but only used it once before I went digital and sold it back to him. I have kind of regretted doing that so decided to get a nice screw fit camera and have just bought myself a Spotmatic SP II!!! YAY!

It will take some getting used to as I have never used a camera with that type of metering, but it sounds like fun! Plus it gives me an excuse to buy plenty of m42 lenses!!! Oh no what have i done? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! They're nice cameras aesthetically and to use. I don't know how reliable the meters are, often with older meters you'll need to adjust the ISO setting down a little from actual rate as sensitivity declines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Congratulations! They're nice cameras aesthetically and to use. I don't know how reliable the meters are, often with older meters you'll need to adjust the ISO setting down a little from actual rate as sensitivity declines.

It mostly is no problem as long as you shoot on colour negative film.

Congratulations, Hooper!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

It mostly is no problem as long as you shoot on colour negative film.

Congratulations, Hooper!

There are also dependencies on the battery used (old mercury batteries are banned).
Also you can use an external light meter as an alternative to the internal ones.

Nice camera, congrats!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, if I have problems i'm sure you guys will have the know-how!!! I'm pretty sure i read there are alternatives to the old batteries....where there's a will, there's a way!

It will only get occasional use, as I don't know if i can afford regular developing costs!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new camera, Hooper, and welcome to the Spottie club. I lusted after one for over 10 years in the 60's/70s Smile What lens(es) did it come with?

About batteries, the Spotmatic Yahoo forum say that the circuitry in the camera can cope with a 1.5v silver oxide cell in place of the original 1.35v mercury cell. These are cheap and really easy to find. I'm currently testing a roll using a 1.5v battery in my SP - I'll let you know how it goes. The needle moves a lot snappier but the readings don't seem too far out compared with other cameras and the separate meter. You can also use 1.35v WeinCell zinc-air batteries, but they don't last very long and you need to let air into the battery compartment from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:
It will only get occasional use, as I don't know if i can afford regular developing costs!

Why not have a go at developing yourself? It's easy :
http://forum.mflenses.com/bandw-developing-essential-answers-t3238.html

Then you'll be wanting to buy a scanner Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info peter.... I didn't get any lenses with the spotmatic, but already have a couple of 50mm's I can use with it until I find the wide angle I want Smile

I ordered one of the weincell batteries, I read around first and aparently they last around 12 months, which for the price isn't too big of a deal.

Our first baby is due in 4 weeks, so I had better leave attempting developing for a while, or the wife will kill me! Thanks a bunch for the info though, it doesn't sound as hard as i thought!