Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Compare Sonnar 100/3.5 and Elmarit-R 90/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Compare Sonnar 100/3.5 and Elmarit-R 90/2.8 Reply with quote

Just a quick comparison using my new xmas present, a gitzo tripod Smile

I'm not trying to prove anything here but only to show a few samples from each lens.

All shots taken at f8.

I must say I think both lenses are superb. The Leica seems to have a better color in my opinion and, between my samples, I think the Leica is sharper too. I intend on taking some portraits with both lenses and I think there will be a much greater difference between the lens character in that scenario.

Sonnar

Elmarit

100%

----------------

Sonnar

Elmarit

100%

--------------

Sonnar

Elmarit

100%

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for share..
I'm not surprise with result. elmarit is great lens. try high ISO, you will see the difference

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At f/8, there can be no meaningful difference in sharpness. Both lenses are diffraction limited here. Colors: did you fix the white balance, or was it set to "Auto"?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
At f/8, there can be no meaningful difference in sharpness. Both lenses are diffraction limited here. Colors: did you fix the white balance, or was it set to "Auto"?

Auto WB and no pp. Just straight from my 500d and exported from lightroom without any alteration.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised, but which version of the Elmarit?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:

This one is a Leitz German E55 S/N 3323499 (If my memory serves me right its 3 cam but I don't know how to tell).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

This one is a Leitz German E55 S/N 3323499 (If my memory serves me right its 3 cam but I don't know how to tell).

There were at least two, possibly three different designs. I owned the first one at one time and was always impressed by it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify that it is a 3 cam and was produced in 1984. Any other details that I could look for to help identify that exact variation would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
I can verify that it is a 3 cam and was produced in 1984. Any other details that I could look for to help identify that exact variation would be great.

Must be this one:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

This is the model I owned:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_I

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:

Must be this one:

Looks just like this one except mine says Leitz on the front element ring and also does not say E55 on that ring. It says E55 on the barrel. Also a correction from what I said earlier, this is a made in canada version, not made in germany.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

Must be this one:

Looks just like this one except mine says Leitz on the front element ring and also does not say E55 on that ring. It says E55 on the barrel. Also a correction from what I said earlier, this is a made in canada version, not made in germany.

It seems they made that lens in both plants.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For these two lenses my primary criteria is sharpness and micro contrast as I prefer to shoot landscape. I'm comparing these lenses because I won't bring both of them with me on a long hike. I'm going to run a few more tests today in my backyard that will hopefully show their abilities at infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
For these two lenses my primary criteria is sharpness and micro contrast as I prefer to shoot landscape. I'm comparing these lenses because I won't bring both of them with me on a long hike. I'm going to run a few more tests today in my backyard that will hopefully show their abilities at infinity.

Well, there are damned few lenses that compete with the 90mm Elmarit-R. As I said I owned the first version; the second is supposed to be even better, so it must be glorious!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Well, there are damned few lenses that compete with the 90mm Elmarit-R. As I said I owned the first version; the second is supposed to be even better, so it must be glorious!

I'm certainly thinking the same thing. In this focal range I know the Planar 85/1.4 is phenomenal with sharpness and micro contrast at infinity, and I suspect the Planar 100/2 is even better. Until I get those in my bag I'm starting to think the Elmarit is my leader. I certainly have more tests to do to prove my winner though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

I'm certainly thinking the same thing. In this focal range I know the Planar 85/1.4 is phenomenal with sharpness and micro contrast at infinity, and I suspect the Planar 100/2 is even better. Until I get those in my bag I'm starting to think the Elmarit is my leader. I certainly have more tests to do to prove my winner though.

Well the Planar is a much faster lens. Leica made an 80mm Summilux which is more comparable to that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comparison at f4 in the garden.

Sonnar

Elmarit

100%