Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zorki 4K - lots of questions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Zorki 4K - lots of questions. Reply with quote

I bought a Zorki 4K for £2 at the camera fair, I took a chance at that price but cosmetically it was perfect and it would look good on a shelf if it was faulty. But I don't think it is, the shutter speeds seem to be all there, and I've wound an old film through it and it seems to work nicely. But a rangefinder such as this is new territory for me, so I have lots of questions.

Firstly, I need a lens ! I did buy a Jupiter 11 135mm off another guy at the camera fair because it was in perfect condition in it's case with all the caps etc and only £20. I didn't see any 50mm lenses at all so the Jupiter 11 is the only lens I have at the moment.
But I do have an Industar 50-2 with M42 thread, and I know that the Industar is one of the standard lenses for the Zorki, but the M39 has an extension -

Is my short, M42 Industar the same lens but without the extension ? and if it is, can I get the extension from somewhere ?
Other than that I know that the Jupiter 8 is another 50mm lens that was sold with the Zorki, would that be a better lens ?

One problem I have identified is the rangefinder appears to need adjusting a lot. With no lens on the camera and using gentle finger pressure on the lever I would expect the rangefinder shadow to come into focus somewhere along it's range of movement ?
I've read that the adjuster is behind the larger screw alongside the viewfinder window ?
I'm also pretty sure that I'll need a 50mm lens before I start messing with that.

There's no ISO speed setting, so I'll need to use a light meter and work from that ? ( I have a few meters so that's no problem )

I'll need an accessory rangefinder for the 135mm lens ?

I think that's about it ! Laughing I'm really looking forward to trying this camera out, once I have a suitable lens.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-8, Industar-61 , Industar-50 all works on your Zorki , look L39 (M39) RF lenses . INdustar-50 RF lens looks an SLR lens+extension ring but not they are built together in factory you can split them. First buy a lens and test RF after, it should works. I bought plenty of Russian RF camera range finder work well in all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 50-2 is made for SLR`s only, you wont be able to use it on your RF camera. I suggest you buy a nice , simple kit lens ( industar 50 , Jupiter 8 , industar 61 L/D ) and limply try everything out, see how the camera works and in the process you`ll know more about this type of camera and whether you RF works properly.
How , if you are choosing between the Jupiter 8 and Industar 50 you have to know that they both are very different lenses. The jupiter is brighter ( f2) and softer , where as the Industar if darker (f3,5) but way sharper. choose one for your taste, but ether way you wont be disappointed , because they are both wonderful lenses.
Using a meter is up to you, if you need one - yes. That iso meter is there , so you could mark the sensitivity of your film and so you would`t forget it.

The accessory rangefinder helps you by allowing you to see the magnification and the angle of your lens. I suggest you look for a universal rangefinder, that way you wont have to look for a different rangefinder after you buy a different mm lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using a meter is up to you, if you need one - yes. That iso meter is there , so you could mark the sensitivity of your film and so you would`t forget it.

Is there an ISO setting on the camera ? I can see a dial under / around the shutter speed knob that has 'X' 'M' and a small dot on it - and a dot on the camera top plate to the rear, is this the ISO setting then ? and if so, how do you set it ? Confused
I'm usually ok at finding my way around a camera, but this has me puzzled.

Thanks for the lens advice, it's the kind of advice I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 adjusters for the RF, one vertical and one horizontal. The Vertical is hidden behind the nameplate under one of the screws holding it in. Horizontal is the cam that you see when you take the lens out. Always set the lens to minimum focal distance when attaching or removing or you will knock the RF out of alignment. There's a thread about RF adjustment at the Rangefinder Forum in the FSU section.

If you need a 50, I have an Industar 50 (alu) and Industar 50-2 (black) and a collapsible 50 going spare. Let me know which one you like the sound of and I'll send one to you.

You need a finder for any lens other than a 50. You can either buy a turret finder (50-100 quid used), or a Helios finder with brightlines (usually under 20 quid new). The Helios is much smaller and dust free; I would recommend one of these.

There is no meter in the camera so ISO setting is not needed. There is a film reminder, but I've never used this as I tend to just shoot B&W anyway. The X & M settings are for flash; use X for electronic flash.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There is no meter in the camera so ISO setting is not needed. There is a film reminder, but I've never used this as I tend to just shoot B&W anyway. The X & M settings are for flash; use X for electronic flash.

Yes indeed , for some reason I`ve imagined a Fed 3 and the small ring above the film counter with the sensitivity marks. Sorry for misleading you Lloydy Smile .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read your findings regarding the I50-2 v J8. I find my J8 very sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Well if you take 5 same Russian lenses they will not give the same results . Maybe mine version was defected or something Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, that's a wonderful offer. Thank you very much, I'll PM you.

and thank to everyone else who's offered advice, I appreciate it. And I expect I'll be back for more. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Zorki-4K today, I couldn't resist due it has a Jupiter-3 Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Well if you take 5 same Russian lenses they will not give the same results . Maybe mine version was defected or something Smile
+1 to that!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought a Zorki-4K today, I couldn't resist due it has a Jupiter-3 Laughing
Great catch!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy

Manual available here...http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/zorki_4k/zorki_4k.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, on my Zorki 4s (not 4K admittedly) the adjuster inside the screw by the viewfinder window adjusts the patch horizontally. That's not to say you're wrong about adjusting it with the cam, but they both do the same job. To adjust the patch vertically it's necessary to remove the top to gain access to two screws which clamp a half-moon shape "spindle" to which the mirror is attached. You have to release one screw first and then tighten the other to rotate the spindle minutely until the patch is aligned and both screws are tight.

Another false myth about the Zorki 4 is that you mustn't adjust the shutter speed until the film is wound and the shutter cocked. This might be true of earlier versions, but in fact with the Z4 no damage will be caused if you try this - you are just locating the lug in a different notch. However because the speed dial rotates when the shutter is released, the markings on the knob won't indicate the correct speed until the film is wound on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason I got this Zorki 4K for £2 was that the seller thought something was wrong with it, possibly the fabled shutter jamming. I bought it with that possibility, but the problem was the rewind button was down so nothing was working. Once I'd got it home and done some reading, I released the button, and away it went. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of use:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73900

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information on that link Martin, thanks.

And I found some here -

http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=0caba1ebcb83b56d0fc6bc43f8140abd

English isn't his first language, but there are good pictures of various Zorki repairs and rangefinder adjusting.