Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Moskva Russian Super Ikonta C Copies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Moskva Russian Super Ikonta C Copies Reply with quote

I see lots of these on eBay, like this one:

Click here to see on Ebay

The prices are definitely attractive. So I'm wondering if they are worth considering? Most Zeiss SI-C's are out of my price range. But I can afford one of these. And I really like the idea of a 3:2 format in medium format.

Are there particular models that are more desirable than others? Got any sample pics to post here to show how they perform?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one, week ago, handling , conform good as Zeiss. I will post some pictures later , currently I have one color roll developed I not impressed much , but my opinion can be change after b&w roll I am pretty sure. I had some top folder like Bessa II Color-Heliar, Skopar Zeiss Ikonta IV etc. In my opinion a well maintaned, adjusted camera is more important than brand for example my Bessa II Color-Heliar which was most expensive from all was worst than average from dozens what I did try. Naturally this is not means Color-Heliar is average
it means only proper maintenance is a very important factor. A dirt cheap Agfa Isolette 2 or Zeiss Ikon with Novar Anastimat, Franka III etc produce very, very good images etc etc. People run after coupled RF cameras, think about what is main usage in your hands ? Landscape, cityscape, portrait ? In most cases without coupled RF or even without RF camera just fine. I have an excellent external Voigtlander RF (Many thanks to Laurence!) , but I have cheap ultrasonic Chinese device too, both can make good job.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Moskva 5. Nice camera. It's a little difficult to handhold but possible. The leaf shutter is very strong. I think most will require a bit of calibration. Getting the rangefinder and lens synced is not too difficult. There are manuals online for lens collimation.

http://forum.mflenses.com/moskva-5-full-roll-8-exp-delta-100-xtol-11-t39042,highlight,%2Bmoskva.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/stasia-moskva-5-provia-100f-t39928,highlight,%2Bmoskva.html

Go for the 5. It's the most common, cheapest, has the best set of features, and has the faster lens.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics, Marc. Hehe, I got a kick out of the cable you have attached to that tiny dog. I have one that looks just like it that I leash my 100 lb. spitz with.

So how does your Moskva handle color? I'll probably be doing mostly black and white, but a big 6x9 Velvia slide has gotta be awesome.

I appreciate the tip regarding the 5. There are a few reasonably priced on eBay right now that seem to be in good condition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/russian/moskva-5-astia-100/?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila. Very impressive. I don't know what to think about Astia, though. Seems like all the photos I've seen taken with it have sort of soft colors and contrast. I prefer the saturated "punch" of emulsions like Kodak's Elite Chrome or Provia. Still, the Moskva's lens sharpness is very evident.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Thanks, Attila. Very impressive. I don't know what to think about Astia, though. Seems like all the photos I've seen taken with it have sort of soft colors and contrast. I prefer the saturated "punch" of emulsions like Kodak's Elite Chrome or Provia. Still, the Moskva's lens sharpness is very evident.

Astia with Ikonta, Astia is a portrait film soft colors and contrast nice with portrait.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/Zeiss/super_ikonta/?

Belfoca II Astia

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/german/welta/belfoca_II/

If I remember as well I wasn't happy with Moskva 5 colors.

None of them really good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take a look again on my processed roll I had developing error and film is expired, plus weather was not ideal , but okay.

I think camera is more than capable performer Moskva-2. Full size 2400 dpi pictures without processing.

click on each images to get high resolution one!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have enough experience with the Moskva to comment on colors. It seemed to do a really nice job with the Provia but that's slide film and will make anything look good color-wise.

I have a roll of new Portra 160 sitting around. I will try to make some pictures in the next few weeks. It may be about a month until I can post anything though. If you're interested in getting the camera soon, you may be better off looking through some of the flickr groups devoted to the Moskva:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/moskvacentral/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/moskva/
There you'll see a great deal of color samples and can make a better judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links, Moleman. I'll go take a look.

Attila, I think the Moskva-2 handled colors well in the photos you show. Did you know that the bottom one of the museum is reversed? Smile

I'm curious, what did you use to scan the images? It seems to have done a good job.

Okay, I'll be honest -- I like the retro looks of the -2 -- it looks just like the SI-C, and I think that's a cool look.

I'm wondering about the 6x6 film mask I see on eBay though. All the ones I see listed are for the -5. I dunno how often I would use such an accessory, but I suppose it would be nice to have. Does anyone here know if, when the plate is installed, the film is spooled correctly for 6x6 photos, or does it still space the film at 6x9 intervals? It would seem a waste if so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Thanks for those links, Moleman. I'll go take a look.

Attila, I think the Moskva-2 handled colors well in the photos you show. Did you know that the bottom one of the museum is reversed? Smile

I'm curious, what did you use to scan the images? It seems to have done a good job.

Okay, I'll be honest -- I like the retro looks of the -2 -- it looks just like the SI-C, and I think that's a cool look.

I'm wondering about the 6x6 film mask I see on eBay though. All the ones I see listed are for the -5. I dunno how often I would use such an accessory, but I suppose it would be nice to have. Does anyone here know if, when the plate is installed, the film is spooled correctly for 6x6 photos, or does it still space the film at 6x9 intervals? It would seem a waste if so.

Yes , I know I left everything untouched , just in run to put some samples to you. Moskva-5 handle 6x6 and 6x9 imges both , Moskva-2 is only 6x9. (I prefer Moskva-2), if 6x6 mask is inserted you have to look 6x6 red window, if not inserted you have to look 6x9 red window and no wasted film space. All camera what able to handle two type of frames have two red windows on back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I understand. Thanks!