Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 300mm 5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Tamron 300mm 5.6 Reply with quote

looking at a Tamron 300mm 5.6 serial # A136xxx is this a good one ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll need a picture of the lens. Try searching the forum for "Tamron 300mm" as there are plenty of threads here about the various models Tamron released.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOAH! That's a really old one! Luisalegria may have seen this before, but I certainly haven't Shocked

Guessing that it's this one:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm300f5_6.htm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ? bad ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone here might know. It's very old though...early 1960s...so don't expect miracles!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I love old lenses, love the way they are made. You would think the image quality would be good too. But I have had new cheap lenses that were awful, old ones too. But I just got a Komine made Vivitar, early 70's 200mm 3.5 that is looks good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably very simple optically: a big positive element (probably a doublet corrected for spherical and chromatic aberrations) at the front with a smaller negative element or group at the back to increase the focal length. In other words, just like the multitude of 400mm f6.3 and 500mm f8 "wonder tubes" out there. Simple doesn't mean bad of course. The TAIR-3 is very simple (3 elements in 3 groups - a true triplet - I think) but works very well. Sophistication will come with how well the lens is corrected for geometrical and chromatic aberrations.

A big issue for digital use is how it interacts with the micro-lenses on the sensor. A lens may be fine on film but can give high colour fringing on digital cameras. Since this effect is somewhat camera dependent, the only way you will know for sure how good it is is by buying it and trying it. I would say the balance of probability is that it will show some fringing, but whether it is bad or tolerable I wouldn't like to guess.

I have tried a fair few 300mm lenses and the best two with regard to colour fringing are the TAIR-3 f4.5 photo sniper and the Canon 300mm f5.6 nFD. The TAIR is cheap, heavy and has M42 mount so can be used on almost any digital camera. With the canon, you are probably limited to mirrorless cams, but it is an impressive performer.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general all lens good at F8 including this Tammy at least in Luis hands Wink price is usually next to nothing ,so if not good you will not loose much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have this. Its a very early Tamron, one of the first T/T2 mount lenses, early 1960's.

http://forum.mflenses.com/aetna-old-tamron-300-5-6-preset-t-mount-t13087,highlight,%2Baetna.html

My general opinion is its not very sharp at f/5.6 but its very light and compact for a 300mm and the bokeh can't be beat.
Don't pay too much.