Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Christmas as seen by Primotar 135mm, Helios44, Planar 50/1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Christmas as seen by Primotar 135mm, Helios44, Planar 50/1.7 Reply with quote

Ever since getting my Helios 44 last spring I've wondered what kind of crazy bokeh I could get from Christmas lights. This summer I got a steal on a Planar 50/1.7, which can have very busy bokeh wide open. And a couple of months ago I bought a Meyer-Optic Primotar 135/3.5, which has similar crazy ring bokeh to the Trioplan.

All shots wide open, focus on Santa's eyes. This isn't scientific, the shots aren't framed identically. (fiddly tripod, and a lot of variation in minimum focus distance)

PP - adjust exposure and gamma, crop, resize

As always, C&C is welcome.

Primotar - I only just finished a very basic (nondestructive) mount conversion and haven't had much chance to to use it. I think it needs a hood in the future.
1)

2)

Helios - There's a funny little spec in the highlights, time to clean this lens I think
3)

4)

Planar - damn those are great colors.
5)

6)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are in the wrong order
Should be the
Planar The Good
Helios The Bad (not really fair its not that bad)
Primotar The Ugly

But this is a good example of just how nice the zeiss lenses can be lovely colours and very sharp from WO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Photos are in the wrong order
Should be the
Planar The Good
Helios The Bad (not really fair its not that bad)
Primotar The Ugly

But this is a good example of just how nice the zeiss lenses can be lovely colours and very sharp from WO

Well no surprise that Zeiss is nice Smile

I guess I should clean the Helios, those 2 tiny specks inside the lens don't affect IQ in normal use but in that contrived situation they really detract from the highlights. A touch of contrast and sharpening would bring it closer to the Zeiss.

The Primotar desperately needs cleaning, the rear element is very dusty but it's recessed about 5 #$%#^ inches from the back of the lens. I suppse that's how it got so dirty and stayed that way Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and I really need to get a hood for the Helios and especially the Primotar.

HOPEFULLY these will just be test shots. I'd like to get the kids to sit still for 30 %^#$#@ seconds and get shots of them against the tree instead of Santa, we'll see how it goes.