Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xmas Yashica 50mm f1.4 BUT will it trump Pentax-A 50mm f1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Xmas Yashica 50mm f1.4 BUT will it trump Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 Reply with quote

Chistmas came early and I now have the Yashica ML 50mm f1.4 pictured below with my Pentax-A 50mm f1.7.

The sad part is that the adaptor will only arrive in the new year now, so for now I will have to just ask question about it and take the odd cheeky pic held up against a PK adaptor.

As soon as I can I will post a shoot off between the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 (my favourite 50) and this yashica.

I always wondered what the differance would be between a 1.7 and 1.4 i.e. 0.3 of a stop and will finally get to test this for myself.

As you can see there is a lot of glass differance

Anyone played much with these and if so which would you choose.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Yashica is definitely faster, but I think you will prefer the Pentax wide open Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Well the Yashica is definitely faster, but I think you will prefer the Pentax wide open Wink

Graham I think you maybe spot on as I'm yet to take a bad picture with the Pentax but I will try to keep an open mind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to compare lenses of different speed wide open. The Pentax lens will almost certainly be the better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML 50/1.4 is not particularly stunning.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell from you post, but certainly the contrast is lower with the Yashica ML lens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
It's hard to tell from you post, but certainly the contrast is lower with the Yashica ML lens

I agree. What are those? Dogs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
stingOM wrote:

I agree. What are those? Dogs?

I'll make the first guess and say a cougar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxes. I have no idea whey they're left out like that.

The point of the 2 images was to show the similarity in rendering in the OOF areas, and just to show how the ML might perform in this respect. You can't tell much more than that from them, certainly not anything about sharpness.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
It is difficult to compare lenses of different speed wide open. The Pentax lens will almost certainly be the better.

I agree and I will try to take other "live with" factors in like how easy it is to focus. Min Focus distance. Weight, Flare etc.

They are both capable of bokeh and it may be nice to compare the OOF areas.

There is a lot of hype on f1.4 and prices to match so I would like to compare for myself to see if there really is much in it.

John I'm going to guess Dingo from you website location, Australia, but don't know where you took these.

Sure has the Shock factor....and my eyes keep wondering towards the beasts and not the OOF area.

Good Pics all the same and from the looks of it the Yashica is a good light director.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In parts of rural western USA, coyote corpses are similarly hung on fenceposts by ranchers and herders. Rather like the old practice of leaving impaled or hanging human bodies on the outskirts as a message: Death awaits all who pass. In my locale, herders leave llamas with their flocks. They're quite good at driving off canines.

I'm ambivalent about ML 50/1.4 vs A50/1.7 (I have the M version). To me the Pentax is sharper, the Yashica is moodier. I don't expect them to deliver the same results, nor the same as the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 nor Super Takumar 50/1.4. None was costly when I bought it. My ML was US$10 last year. What's the usual rate now?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML 50/1.4 goes for 50-70 EUR at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from your samples, I like the Contax best. Would help if they both had the same density.

I believe this is a dried Dingo jerky ranch.