Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Basic steps with old cameras (SLR)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Basic steps with old cameras (SLR) Reply with quote

old cameras, I here to state one thing, M-42, Nikon FM series, Nikon F1, Nikon F2 are the noticeable samples of old cameras

For the beginners, May be very panic since there is few assistance on photo-taking as there is No AF,No DX for the real system. My current Fujica, ST605N is really a real stuff.

If you have got 1970s models (or Nikon Fm series), You may find there is TTL built-in. Perhaps you should try to replace 2 LR44 Batteries to test if it works.

If work, then you can use TTL to predict result. Otherwise you may need to do trial-and-error to test out (some external TTL can help you on this) The sign, you may know what the meaning is so I do no need to state much in here.

In order to obtain the Right TTL, You may notice there is ASA labeled near the Shutter.

Here, I need to remind you that If you see the shutter, 125 means 1/125 second only. The X Marked means the flashlight Maximum sync speed. If you use flashlight, then you cannot over the X Marked.

ASA,pull the shutter outer ring to adjust(I read the user manual of Fujica ST605N, other may differ), You will see 100,200,400,800,1600,3200 (ASA 3200 is currently typical value, only the Black and white provides this ISO, The color is 1600)

For the beginners, Remember your ISO value in order to get the true TTL.

Now, You may know how to focus, watch the viewer until you get the clear image, then adjust the aperture and shutter speed. press the TTL tightly before you press the shutter as you need to take a look if you are in the correct range.

(Lens differs, so better to take a look you possibly need few seconds,not more than 5)

To conclude, New comers using the old cameras, Better to keep their paper package until they have finished the roll since you have to set the ISO correctly before you can take pictures.

If not using TTL, then you are doing the trial-and-error, I used to do this, four times. the last time is using slide film,ISO 100.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic steps with old cameras (SLR) Reply with quote

Allow me to say that I sometimes have difficulties to understand what you mean. But thanks for your effort.

polarhei wrote:
If not using TTL, then you are doing the trial-and-error,...

Or you just use a meter which tells you how to expose and set the camera. Wink