Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weltini II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Weltini II Reply with quote

I've been wanting one of these for my growing 35mm folder collection for some time and finally
found one at a yard sale for $25!

This is the Weltini II, a 35mm folding rangefinder camera. Made in Germany by Welta.

I couldn't ask for better condition and it has the 50/2 Scheider Xenon lens too. To my surprise
the Compur shutter works very well and I don't think it needs any work at all. The lens has some
haze and I do need to clean that up. Otherwise, everything works nicely and the bellows are
clean and light tight.

Build quality is quite good and it weighs in at a hefty 1½ pounds. Width from one side to the
other is about 4¾ inches including the door latch.

The lens pops out almost silently when the lock is pressed and the shutter release extends too,
similar to the Voigtlander Vitessa. Closing the camera automatically adjusts focus to infinity and
retracts the release -- very nifty. Makes it a streamlined little package for pockets and bags.

Film wind and rewind are via wheels located on the bottom. There appears to be an RF adjustment
screw on the back of the RF housing but I haven't yet confirmed that's what it is.

Shutter speeds are 1 sec. to 1/500 and the lens has smooth unit focusing via helicoid (the whole
lens moves when adjusting focus).

Film is required to operate the shutter (like on Voigtlanders) and the shutter must be set manually
for each exposure. There is a frame counter on top.

There is a bit of a down side though --
The placement of the shutter release on the left side make it somewhat awkward to use for a right
handed person but only in landscape mode. In portrait orientation it's fine -- for me at least. It's
not a big deal -- it just takes some getting used to. The cameras of this era often weren't all that
ergonomic anyway.

All in all I'm very happy with it and hope to be shooting it soon after I give the lens a bath. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valuable camera! Congrats! In my country collectors are respect it so well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky find indeed.
Thats something of a cult camera.
Not too many made either.