Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm STF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: 135mm STF Reply with quote

Not long got hold of the Sony version which I believe is just rebadged Minolta http://www.the135stf.net/design.html very unusual design, anyone here used one, got an idea it'll take a bit of learning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh of this lens is so good, so good, that may look artificial. But to me, the images that this lens produces, are just amazing.

I'll have this lens someday, I'm sure of that!

BTW, the Maxxum/Alpha mount is the best AF mount, period.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't make a difference to this lens it's MF only, I've got an adapter for the G2 but will have to get a Nex one Wink
From what I'm understanding so far, it's a 2.8 but in reality it's F4 Exclamation

Last edited by Tervueren on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting idea, thank you for bringing it up.

Very expensive too - $1,300 on Amazon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
A very interesting idea, thank you for bringing it up.

Very expensive too - $1,300 on Amazon

Mine cost me £600 used but it doesn't look like its even been mounted on a camera.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used one but the smoothness of the bokeh is unmatched. In fact, if anything I think it's sometimes too smooth and uniform, and can occasionally give a background which looks a bit flat and dull compared with a regular lens design, but then I favour lenses with a bit of "character" to the bokeh. However, I'm sure there are times when it's a godsend. Enjoy it Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show us! Show us! Please? Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bokeh samples (boring shots otherwise, but should give you an idea of the lens):

Also, in addition to smooth bokeh, it gives very smooth flare when shooting straight into the sun (the effect is not edited):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Arkku: very cool shots!

I have one. I bought it when my curiosity of MF lenses & LBA insanity was at the highest level ... so insane that I converted it to EOS mount Smile

At first the bokeh looks strange. And in some shots it looks unpleasent for my eyes. Too fake and too "gaussian blur" in certain coindition.
But in perfect condition it looks very magical especially for close shot. No other lens can match the gausian blur of this lens, unless you make a DIY apodization on your lens Smile
So it's a tricky lens to master, just like Biotar 75 and other unique lenses.
Arkku did it very well.

Oh one more, this lens is super super sharp at wide open; it could be my sharpest lens beside my macro lens. By the way at narrower aperture it flares very bad even if I use hood.

In this shot the bokeh looks very dizzy to me

These ones looks more pleasing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of very few expensive lenses I'd actually consider someday. It was designed to provide for technically perfect bokeh, yet the sharpness is as good as any. Some folks have posted images here: http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic11302.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is one of the reason why I made my decision to stay with Minolta/Sony. Yes, the Sony lens is the same lens as the Minolta version.

Here is a great site on the lens: http://www.the135stf.net/ . Do also click on the "Samples" tab. There are a lot of nice photos there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, and what great lens! this one and the Zeiss ZA 135/1.8 is the reason to stick to Minolta/Sony Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too and it's my favorite lens at all. Bought it just after Konica-Minolta announced their retreat and before Sony had their first Alpha on the market.. a great time for buying Minolta AF lenses Wink

Got it new from a photodealer who described it as "Minolta AF 2.8/135 Softfocus", a phonecall later it was mine for arround 500 Euro. I was just curious and didn't thought to keep it... for this price I always would get my money back (just one week later a STF sold on ebay for 1299 Euro). But this lens made me addicted.. someting I can't really describe. Pictures show much of the qualities, but only when you be able to compare it with your best lenses.. on same day/place/light.. than you fully understand what I mean.

here are a few more photos made with the STF:

http://photoxp.daifukuya.com/index/lens/135mm.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this lens comparable with nikkor DC lenses? and pentax's soft focus lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

As far as I know, totally different designs, and also results. Minolta did have a soft focus lens though - Minolta AF 100 F2.8 Soft http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.. completely different, the STF isn't a soft focus lens. Here you can see what this design makes so special about:

http://forum.mflenses.com/double-diaphragm-lenses-t14717.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
[ . . . ] BTW, the Maxxum/Alpha mount is the best AF mount, period.

Hi Ivan !

Interesting statement/assertion/allegation or whatever's the best word. I have no axe to grind over what's "best", so I wonder if you could tell me (and anyone/everyone else of course!) what the benefits of the Minolta mount are? I recall it was the first viable AF system sold in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

As far as I know, totally different designs, and also results. Minolta did have a soft focus lens though - Minolta AF 100 F2.8 Soft http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=74

I suspect here with the STF the term soft focus is being used to describe the bokeh, not the sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Ivan Lee wrote:
[ . . . ] BTW, the Maxxum/Alpha mount is the best AF mount, period.

Hi Ivan !

Interesting statement/assertion/allegation or whatever's the best word. I have no axe to grind over what's "best", so I wonder if you could tell me (and anyone/everyone else of course!) what the benefits of the Minolta mount are? I recall it was the first viable AF system sold in the UK.

That's more of a personal opinion, of course the EOS mount is the best for photojournalists, but to me the Maxxum/Alpha mount has the best range of lenses... some lenses for the Alpha mount are unmatched, like the Zeiss 135mm 1.8, Minolta 85 1.4G (I've seen a test that this lens shows better bokeh than the Canon 85 1.2L), Minolta 85 1.4 LE (this one is hard to find, but some people say it has the best bokeh on any 85mm ever made), Zeiss 85 1.4, Minolta 135 STF, Zeiss 24 f/2... and many others.

I'm not saying that Canikon don't have good lenses, they have amazing lenses, I've used lots of L glass and I was always curious about some Nikon glass, but Sony/Minolta just have something more in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes.. the Minolta AF 1.4/85mm G is fantastic.. very sharp, high contrast and has a beautiful bokeh too. Another great lens is the Minolta 1.4/35mm G.. this one seldom leaves the camera. Very Happy

But all Minolta G lenses are great performers and a bit expensive of course... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forgetting the wonderful Minolta 200/2.8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apodisation !
http://www.the135stf.net/apodisation.html
Sometimes boring, sometimes magic. Yet, a must have !
A legend, like the Voigtlander 125 : Inaccessible nowadays, except with a great amount of luck, or a great amount of money.
(in fact, never "cheap"). Congrats to the owners.
Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

AFAIK Nikon's DC system allows one to adjust the correction of spherical aberration, which can be used to get quite smooth bokeh on one side of focus (front/back) but not both simultaneously. However, I would view it as more of an “adjustable bokeh” system for interesting bokeh “effects” rather than as a way to get the smoothest bokeh (which it doesn't).

Soft focus lenses are an entirely different thing, the Sony/Minolta STF is actually very sharp, even wide open. Part of the unique effect is the contrast between the very sharp in-focus subject and smooth out of focus; I would actually see this as the main feature of the lens rather than “just” the smoothest possible bokeh.

As has been said by others above, the STF achieves its smooth bokeh by a special optical element, which is also why it loses over a stop of light (f/2.8 is t/4.5).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Apodisation !

Gesundheit Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using some lenses with "good" bokeh I start thinking about something like a Gaussian illumination profile of the bokeh - and found the Sony 135 STF is a lens with more or less such a bokeh, due ti its apodisation element.
Cause I don´t want do buy this lens - because it is nearly an AF lens and it is not cheap, I thought about DIY. After some for and back I got the idea of using slide film near the iris to get the apodisation element, it is thin enough not to alter the optical design too much - at least that was my hope:

My first experiments are promising - only bright reflections give a really bad bokeh, because one could see something like the film structure.

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Apodization-Filter.html