Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios rear elements as (fun)lenses - The element of suprise
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Helios rear elements as (fun)lenses - The element of suprise Reply with quote

When I was playing around with lens parts I recognized that the rear elements of Helios/Biotars are able to project.

Here's a rear element (I hope I remember correctly) of a Helios 44M 58mm 1:2

I clamped it to a leftover of an Industar 61 (Leica M39 mount) whose helicoid was used for focusing. I didn't measure the focal distance but I guess it's possible to reach infinty on M42 etc. if you find a way to adapt it which allows focusing
Not very beautyful but it works very well.

First tests:

Very soft focus Smile

@Infinity

Raindrops on the window

(defocused, it's not easy to focus with such a soft lens Wink)

(also defocused, over infinty, but not by accident)

Any experience with that? I would love to see this lens used on some flowers with raindrops (and a hood) but the weather my day's shedule are not friends of this projekt Smile

PS: Contrast could be much better. My copy is hazed a little.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have there is the rear 3 elements.

I took the rear group out of a Helios-44 and use the lens with just the front group, which made it a triplet with an effective focal length of 116mm. You should try that, works really well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
What you have there is the rear 3 elements.

I took the rear group out of a Helios-44 and use the lens with just the front group, which made it a triplet with an effective focal length of 116mm. You should try that, works really well.

I already tried that Very Happy but I prefer the focal length of the rear element which is somewhere around 50mm I guess

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice.....you could call this " the element of surprise ."....lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkman1 wrote:

Aaaand it's done Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkman1 wrote:

*shudder*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should give interesting results for portraits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

It might be also very interesting for filming and to to get a special feeling... for example to get a feeling like beeing drunken, very tired, on drugs, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

It might be also very interesting for filming and to to get a special feeling... for example to get a feeling like beeing drunken, very tired, on drugs, etc.

Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried the Helios 40/Cyclop 85mm F1.5 rear element... similar effect, sharper and more contrasty in center but with a longer focal length Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rear element (or actually group) can be used as a pretty good soft-focus lens with a hard to beat bokeh, and mounting it backwards provides a very compact design but without an aperture mechanism. I glued the original rear end of the group onto an M42 macro reversal ring so the group could be mounted totally inside an M42 17-32 mm focusing helicoid. I had previously removed the thread section from the other end of the reversal ring so the lens assembly adds only less than 3 mm to the thickness of the helicoid, which means the total thickness is less than 20 mm, i.e., roughly that of a CZ 45/2.8 Tessar*. The focusing range is from about 40 cm to almost infinity, which is quite OK as I see no need for infinity focus when using a soft-focus lens.

Here is a slightly cropped test shot:

and an intentionally out of focus shot through a glass door showing the bokeh behavior when there are no very bright highlights:

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice result.