Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor•C 1:2.5 f=3.5cm RF lens in LTM vers.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor•C 1:2.5 f=3.5cm RF lens in LTM vers. Reply with quote

Just found that neat lens, in the rare Leica thread mount (LTM) version, a 6e/4g design:

(Uc) Taunusreiter.de [this is the Nikon bajonet mount version, but optical the same]

This is mine:

Anyone has experience with that one?

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is broken (so we can't see your lens Crying or Very sad )
Wish I had your connections, so you always post so many rare lenses Smile (not that I could afford any of them I guess... Wink )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it. Well, it is not connections, more passion + patience Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Got it a month ago or so and have only done one test roll of HP5.
It's a nice little lens with some interesting personality. The optics are the same as my Nikonos 35mm f2.5 which I use a few times a year.
The lens shows a fair bit of swirly oof area at wide open and some heavy vignetting when in close.
I don't consider this a bad thing. As you stop down or move away it tames up quite well.
Remember the following are a first test roll. Shot on M5. I guess most guys here would use this lens on a NEX or M4/3 and shoot digitally.
It's not very expensive when you find one expect to pay $200-$300. I paid $250 for mine with case and caps. It's mint.

Here you can see another finish variation of the lens mounted here on a Canon7 LTM RF. The Voigtlander "push in filter" is 32mm.

W/O at 1meter It is wild and vignettes about 2 stops by the corners

Here at f4 it is much more tame again at 1M.

Here at 1.5M the swirling is not as bad but vignetting is still 1.5 stops or so.

F5.6 well under control

f2.5 at mid range

f2.5 near infinity

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Andy, that's very helpful! I have the older version, all chrome, surely not mint,
but haven't payed much for it. Do you have Rotoloni's book? I wonder how many were ever
made....

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem Klaus. I added a few more. I'll take some "Real" Photos with it this weekend. I like the lens.
I also have the W Nikkor 35 f1.8 which is much more rare and 10x as expensive for a mint LTM copy.
The f1.8 is a really sweet lens also but, it has some of the same "flaws'' at larger apertures.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These add. ones look really good Andy! The f1.8 surely is a nice one,
but I wasn't really willing to throw so many g's toward one Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I liked about the lens in samples I saw before buying was how well it holds together highlights and draws tones.
If you look at the infinity shot you can see nice tone separation way into the distance. The leaves on the trees showing varying brightness.
A higher contrast and or sharper lens would blot those little details out.
This is a B+W film shooters lens in that way. I'm not sure how excited a digital color user will be with the results although, contrast is easier to add than to take away Smile
Curious to see your result. Are you getting back into RF's Klaus? Good for you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, that I also saw. I'm not afraid of a low(er) contrast lens, it's worse
the other way round (the Apo Rodagon D is a horrible example for that!).
Yep, it seems the RF virus has hit me again Wink Still feeling good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
... The optics are the same as my Nikonos 35mm f2.5 which I use a few times a year. ...

Do you mean the underwater camera lens? Is that one adaptable to anything or are you using it on an old nikonos camera?
There is one laying around in the attic (old one from my dad Smile ) and I think it may have this lens on it, as I remember it was pretty much the standard lens on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tom

Not t hijack the thread.

The Nikonos 35mm f2.5 is the same optical scheme as this LTM lens and the Nikon RF mount lens.
I use mine in wet or "Adverse" conditions never have put it under the water .
It's a scale focus lens on the Nikonos but quite easy to use and handy.
if you have a Nikonos and 35mm in the attic you should pull it out and put a film in it.
These are film lenses for film cameras. Never mind adapting it. I don't think it's worth the trouble to be honest.
Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, it was not my intention to hijack the thread Embarassed , just got a bit too excited, guess there is some passion left here too Smile .
I will put some film through it, thx.
I indeed found a manual for it that shows the optical scheme to be the same:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon/nikonos_iv-a/nikonos_iv-a.htm second part of the manual.