Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Arette Bw
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Arette Bw Reply with quote

Got this one for $17.90 US with free shipping on Ebay. The auction description said an Arette 1A but the photo was of either an Arette Bn or a Bw. I took a chance and bid. Surprise!! It is a beautiful Arette Bw. The Bw is an interchangeable lens Viewfinder camera With a Prontor SVS shutter and brightlines in the viewfinder for 50mm and 90mm lenses. I need in the future to find a 90mm lens to make the kit complete.

Everything works except the shutter is stuck. I'll look into that shortly. The Gossen meter is active and seems to be working as it did when new, A small amount of paint is missing from the plastic strip at the bottom of the film loading door. That too will be easy to fix.

All in all a lucky buy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find !

There were several European viewfinder cameras with interchangeable lenses.
Some of the Paxettes are like this, and some French cameras too (Foton ?)
I am rather surprised that this was considered a reasonable feature. I can understand a wide-ish alternate lens. If we are going to be guesstimating distances this is even easier with a 35mm than a 45mm. But a 90mm ? I can only see this working at 10m-infinity at small apertures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I ask , what sort of paint and technique will you be using to repaint the back door strip?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lovely Isco lens too. Nicely found

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking camera! I hope you can get it working again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Interesting find !

I am rather surprised that this was considered a reasonable feature. I can understand a wide-ish alternate lens. If we are going to be guesstimating distances this is even easier with a 35mm than a 45mm. But a 90mm ? I can only see this working at 10m-infinity at small apertures.

I thought that myself Luis.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Might I ask , what sort of paint and technique will you be using to repaint the back door strip?

I have a daughter that hand paints jewelry. She gets the cameras that require careful painting or re-gluing. I'll ask how she did it after she does it and get back to you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
Looks like a lovely Isco lens too. Nicely found

Very Happy

We'll soon see how lovely it takes photos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Very nice looking camera! I hope you can get it working again.

I can get the front cover off easily and the speed ring but so far I can't figure how to get any further. This has the lens mount on the shutter assembly and is not the same as other Prontor SVS shutters. It seems to fire the shutter at about three quarters of the way when using the advance lever. In other words it fires before fully cocked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! You are very good at getting very nice bargains.

Another German VF camera with interchangeable lenses is the Zeiss Contina III though "convertible lens" might be more accurate since only the front portion of the lens was interchanged.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Interesting find !

I think it's a reflection of contemporary fashions in photography - in the late 1950s and early 1960s there was a lot more interest in bringing things closer rather than "pushing them back" with a wide angle lens. There were a lot less wide angles sold than telephotos. I supppose if you were photographing the distant church or lighthouse or whatever, critical focus wouldn't be an issue.

This Arette is a new one to me, I don't recall it being sold in the UK. My guess would be that there was a companion model with a rangefinder built in - other fixed-lens Arettes came in what I call "stacking models" - basic camera, one with meter, one with RF, one with meter and RF . . . as did many other makers' ranges.

Nice looking camera - hope you get it to take photos ok !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Great find! You are very good at getting very nice bargains.

Another German VF camera with interchangeable lenses is the Zeiss Contina III though "convertible lens" might be more accurate since only the front portion of the lens was interchanged.

I nearly bid on a Contina III but the price went way too high for my budget.

I have learned patience and also I look very hard at the photos supplied before I bid. Luck has been with me for the most part but every now and then I get burned a little.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
luisalegria wrote:
Interesting find !

I think it's a reflection of contemporary fashions in photography - in the late 1950s and early 1960s there was a lot more interest in bringing things closer rather than "pushing them back" with a wide angle lens. There were a lot less wide angles sold than telephotos. I supppose if you were photographing the distant church or lighthouse or whatever, critical focus wouldn't be an issue.

This Arette is a new one to me, I don't recall it being sold in the UK. My guess would be that there was a companion model with a rangefinder built in - other fixed-lens Arettes came in what I call "stacking models" - basic camera, one with meter, one with RF, one with meter and RF . . . as did many other makers' ranges.

Nice looking camera - hope you get it to take photos ok !

Thanks Stephen. I'll have to get someone else to disassemble it for repair as I've gone about as far as I wish for the moment.