Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aus Jena Zebra T 2.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Aus Jena Zebra T 2.8/50 Reply with quote

I think I had a brain fart when I bid on this one. I regretted bidding on it 5 minutes after I bid. Laughing I have a couple other Exakta mount lenses, so I do need to order an Exakta EOS adapter, but they don't have the arm.
I tried to find image samples on the forum,but I didn't have much luck. Any info on this lens would be helpful.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Tessar without the name printed on it. Wink

I've been thinking about getting one for my exa, in case you don't want it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It's a Tessar without the name printed on it. Wink

I've been thinking about getting one for my exa, in case you don't want it.

Thanks. I will let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find a couple samples on the forum, but not much. Still not enough to tell the IQ, or any good Bokeh samples.

I know this is the export version of the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar Zebra 2.8/50 made between 1968-1970. What I don't know is number of blades, IQ,Bokeh, and if I can use this on my Canon EOS 10D without the arm hitting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search in the exakta group on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=47382444%40N00&m=pool&q=tessar

It gives typical tessar-y bokeh. The M42 zebra version has 5 blades, so the exakta version probably has 5 blades too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You that helps. Smile I also found this link, but I don't know if mine would have the same IQ, or the same number of blades.
This would be a 5 blade lens also wouldn't it? Sorry I just don't know that much about these lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastendimages/sets/72157594383007766/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the little pad on the arm (next to the red dot) comes off by undoing the two screws. You can then glue an M39-M42 adapter over the exakta bayonet and mount into an M42-EOS adapter.

Good luck and let us see the samples Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glue an adaptor on? Sacrilege - M42 tessars aren't exactly hard to find, it wouldn't be worth it. Wink (using that smiley too much now)

If they're going to get an exakta adapter they may have to remove the back of the PAD arm, but it should still work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aus Jena export version it will be good as any well respected 50mm lens, it has excellent or stunning IQ stopped down.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M42 version, as Attila says, great lens, this was taken wide open on my 10D.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a tessar expert and own none, but - eh wait, I think I have a domiplan and who knows what these revueflexes really are .. - anyway I heard the "T" and "[aus] Jena" labels were entirely due to trademark quarrels (with Zeiss/FRG IIRC)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any regrets : I finally got one of this Tessar, black finish late version (and : Yes...with a stuck diaphragm. Still lazy now)
http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/mlenses/czjtess2.8_50.html
I was really surprised by the IQ of the lens : Sharp and high contrast image ! Bokeh is on the special side.
You have to try it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same lens.
I didn't like it much. My copy had lower sharpness than Helios 44 or any other ~50mm I tried, boring colors and I didn't enjoy the tessar-bokeh. Not bad but nothing special or very good. But maybe my copy was faulty. I sold it for 6€.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
I am not a tessar expert and own none, but - eh wait, I think I have a domiplan and who knows what these revueflexes really are .. - anyway I heard the "T" and "[aus] Jena" labels were entirely due to trademark quarrels (with Zeiss/FRG IIRC)

Yes, due to legal quarrels.

Domiplan is a triplet, Tessar is development of triplet with one more element.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I will give it a test when I get it. It will have to be handheld for right now, because the cheapest adpter is USD $29. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Apparently, the little pad on the arm (next to the red dot) comes off by undoing the two screws. You can then glue an M39-M42 adapter over the exakta bayonet and mount into an M42-EOS adapter.

Good luck and let us see the samples Smile

I don't want to use glue, but you got me thinking. I tested it on one of my Exakta mount lenses without the arm and it works.Slide a M39 ring adapter over the Exakta mount, and use an O-ring to hold it in place, then you can screw on a M42 Eos flangless adapter.
Seems to work fine, but I will try to test it tomorrow if I get home in time.

Even more interesting, to me atleast, is you can screw on a M42 to MD adapter and use Exakta lenses on your Minolta Md mount film camera. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flange register is also very close to the Praktika PB Mount ; If you have already a PB adapter, you can just tape the lens on it, with a little spacer though. (sticker)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lens today,and she's a beauty. Very Happy My adapter works perfectly, but I haven't tested for infinity yet. To late today to do any testing. It's been overcast and raining today, anyway. Hopefully I will have better weather tomorrow.
I have a 49mm hood that willl fit this lens, so I'm prepared. Just need to get a pair of lens caps.
Here is a quick pic of the lens mounted on my 10D.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome and very good lens !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Domiplan is a triplet, Tessar is development of triplet with one more element.

I hear that a lot and it's not correct.

See 3rd para: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessar