Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus 24 and Tamron 60B do Mars Science Laboratory Launch
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Olympus 24 and Tamron 60B do Mars Science Laboratory Launch Reply with quote

Tamron 60B 300/2.8 and 01F 2x from the roof of the VAB:

Olympus 24/2.8 from right in the thick of things:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you don't get to see these kind of shots here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike , I prefere the Olympus shots !
Thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, ubiquity, I wouldn't thought it's possible. Rolling Eyes

Olympus rocks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Hmm, ubiquity, I wouldn't thought it's possible. Rolling Eyes

I had two remote cameras placed inside the pad perimeter (The other was shooting an AF lens and hence isn't included here). I was behind the 60B about four miles away on the Vehicle Assembly Building.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I presumed that you had a second camera closer to the launching site.
Just tell me that somebody was watching it closely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Just tell me that somebody was watching it closely.

Hopefully not - Someone that close might be killed (or wish they were) Laughing

The remotes are fairly safe out at the pad. Nobody can mess with them unless they managed to sneak onto a secure military base. You do have to worry about weather and the launch itself when placing these cameras. With the previous launch (GRAIL), a bunch of guys I know had lenses ruined by rain before the launch. On this launch, one photographer had his camera get hit with acid rain from the launch plume drifting over it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots with the Olympus. How do you overcomes the vibration created by the blast? Were the cameras on something more stable than tripods?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! great experience and superb results!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Very nice shots with the Olympus. How do you overcomes the vibration created by the blast? Were the cameras on something more stable than tripods?

We do have to avoid setting up on concrete because of vibrations. Soft ground is good. I had regular tripods with spiked feet (Marchioni Tiltall and Bogen 3040) that were further secured with stakes and bungee cables.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone here on the forum would have been taking some images of the launch. Cool Thanks for posting these and giving us some insight on how hard it is.
Do you put your least favorite lens closer to the action?.... or it does not matter and you just use the lens that will give the best possible outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much just using the best lens for the situation. I intended to put a 24 or 28 on that camera no matter what, and the other one would go wider for the plume (In this case it was 18-55 IS @ 18mm).

I do prefer to use MF lenses because they've each cost a fraction of what their AF counterparts would cost... All that extra cost would be going towards AF I wouldn't be using! That and the focus and aperture settings are less likely to get bumped out of place.