Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 ~50mm f/1.4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: M42 ~50mm f/1.4? Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried searching the forums but didn't find quite the answer to my question - please point me to the right thread if this has already been discussed. Smile

I'm looking for a good M42 mount lens around 50mm focal length and with aperture of 1.4. There are quite many to choose from, so I would be very thankful for recommendations for a few ones with good sharpness and overall image quality.

I borrowed a friend's Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 for a while and found it very good and will probably be buying one if there are no others that are as good; however the thing that has kept me from buying one is that the direction of focusing is the opposite to all other lenses I have so it would be nice if there was an alternative with equally good image quality but the focusing direction the other way.

Thank You in advance!

--Loki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you restrict to M42 mount and MAX Aperture of f/1.4 there are not so many options... Razz

By memory, with that specifs, I can recommend:
- Takumar 50mm f1/4
- Fujinon EBC 50mm f/1.4

BOTH are very nice!

Also, there are some variants in M42 of other manufacturers.
Ex: Zeiss rollei 50mm f/1.4 and maybe Olly 50mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many good and excellent ones, but you'll probably pay more for an M42 lens than for one in any other mount (including Pentax K, for example. SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 is a great lens and costs cheaper than the Takumar). That said, your options include:

- Super Takumar 50/1.4 (most samples are yellowed due to a radioactive glass element);
- S-M-C and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 (most samples are yellowed, but to a much lesser degree compared to the Super Tak);
- Fujinon 50/1.4 (non-EBC version flares readily and has lower contrast; EBC Fujinon is superb in all respects but is very rare and commands very high prices on eBay); do not confuse with X-Fujinon lenses, which are Fujica X mount and not really compatible with anything;
- Yashica (Yashinon) 50/1.4. There are several versions in M42; Yashinon DS comes with single coatings (may have lowish contrast and somewhat dull colors); Yashinon DS-M has multi-coatings and is generally highly regarded; do not confuse with the later Yashica ML series which are superb but have C/Y mount;
- Rikenon and Sears 55/1.4 (also available under other names; these are believed to be Tomioka designs). Never tried one myself though - you can search information about them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defer to the experts here, but as a personal opinion only, having tried quite a lot of 50-55mm lenses, there is very little performance difference between them as a practical matter.

It would take detailed testing to come up with a demonstrable difference between a Rikenon and a Takumar, and I'm sure most people don't have the knowledge and skill to set up a valid test.

Which tells me that for nearly any practical use, for portraits or street photography or art photography, etc., it does not matter at all.

If some special quality is desired like even illumination in the corners, lack of distortion, relatively flat field, etc. at wide open, then you need to call out that specific requirement. Perfection in these probably can't be found in an M42 lens.

As for direction of focus -

Pentax Takumars and Fuji/Fujica Fujinons turn to the left

Mamiya Yashica Ricoh/Sears Chinon Cosina (and I think also Revuenon, etc.) turn to the right